cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Room On Top

Community Veteran

No Room On Top

A London bus had its top sliced off today after it hit a tree. A number of people were treated at the scene and two taken to hospital.
Bus Sliced
Luckily there were no really serious casualties.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: No Room On Top

Hard to see how that happened.
Tree leaning over a bit, bus right on the kerb edge maybe.
Or mounted the pavement?
Or a dropped drain or pothole making the bus lurch over,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It was Boris... Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sound like something out of a Bond film Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looks to me, like the tree that was "leaning over the roadway sightly" was hit by the front left corner of the roof,,,the bus continued on, thus ripping open the top of the bus... there isn`t much metal holding it on to the rest of the bus, if you think about it.... and it wouldn`t take too much energy ( hitting the tree at slow speed) to break most of the uprights in the windows.... the report says that the fire brigade used a winch to remove the roof and bring it down to street level.. (presumably for safety & ease of access )...
Community Veteran

Looks like the bus driver was at fault. Other buses would have used that route earlier in the day.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

There is a street sign warning of overhanging trees and a height restriction of 2.5m (much less than the height of a double-decker bus). Yet the bus lane runs directly under those trees. An accident waiting to happen. The trees should have been lopped or replaced.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Yet the bus lane runs directly under those trees.
No, not a bus lane, that's actually parking bays for coaches. I know that area very well and just verified on Google Streetview.
The bus lane starts further up (past the tunnel entrance) where the trees don't overhang.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
No, not a bus lane, that's actually parking bays for coaches.

Thanks for the correction. I have just rechecked Street View and the short section with the overhanging tree warning comes between two sections of bus lane. I can see how a bus driver unfamiliar with the route could with other distractions not notice that the bus lane had ended. Although there is an "End Of Bus Lane" sign the road surface at the scene of the accident as shown on Street View appears to me to have the red colour of a bus lane.
Community Veteran

So this is really just another "low bridge I forgot I was driving a double decker bus" type accident.
The type of accident a car driver would be done for driving without due care and attention.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As a Public Service Driver...  could he/she be charged with attempted mass murder ... ?  ?  ?
Community Veteran

I guess he won't be driving buses for a while Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
I have just rechecked Street View
That SV link is some considerable distance North of the actual scene, which was beside the separated tunnel ramp.
Go back onto StreetView and check where the sign is in the BBC picture and the double-separated (3 lanes, 2 islands - nearest also with a railing) carriageway it also shows.
Edit: Now I look again I'm confused. StreetView doesn't match the BBC picture, not quite sure why though.  Undecided
Ah, just worked it out. The bus was travelling South (not North) towards Aldwych and was outside 22 Kingsway (a Kings College building). Still coach parking though, not a bus lane. https://goo.gl/maps/cMzuL
The bus lane finished just before the preceding side road (Sardinia Street).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I cannot agree.
Trees should not be overhanging roads, it's up to the council to ensure they are cut and not a danger to road users.
Community Veteran

But isn't trees overhanging roads intentional in many cases.
The shade protects the road surface from the summer sun.
I believe tree heights and their condition are strictly and regularly monitored.
For the vehicles that use the road in question.
Was that vehicle meant to use that particular road?