cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Road Tax = No Fuel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No Road Tax = No Fuel

Most forecourts have cameras fitted that are able to read number plates so anyone not paying for fuel can be traced.
The Government are considering linking these cameras to the ANPR  (Automatic Number Plate Recogniton) database, if the vehicle is showing as not Taxed and/or insured then the fuel pump would be inoperative.
I Can see a few snags but the idea seems good in principal.
98 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: No Road Tax = No Fuel

There's a very interesting article confirming this in today's Sunday Times.  It seems a very good idea to me.  If it cuts down on uninsured drivers or untaxed vehicles it should be encouraged.  The government is to meet with petrol retailers this week to discuss the plans.
I assume some of the small independent retailers may not have this facility but apparently the groups do.
Community Veteran

Appaling idea. I mean no, it's good for catching genuine uninsured drivers but what happens when you've just bought a car, arranged the insurance and then it doesn't show on the MID for a few days? - How on earth do you put petrol in your genuinely insured car? - Will you now have to ring the police to ask permission to top up? - Will you have to wait there until they turn up and go through everything with you?
What happens if (as I did once) was bringing a car home at gone midnight and you pull in for juice? - Plod won't get through to the insurer so what happens then?
This really is turning into a police state and dictatorship. It's going one step too far IMO. We're the most surveiled and monitored nation on the planet - more than america. Why? - Why is it so important for them to be able to track our every move, spend, purchase, habit, etc?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I have to agree that it's a bad idea.
Who will pay to remove the abandoned cars left at the petrol station - possibly stopping the next person from using the pump?
And all the cars abandoned at the side of the road causing a blot or even a hazard?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems a reasonable idea to me. Anything that reduces the number of uninsured drivers gets my vote.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Providing we know exactly how long it will take to show a change of ownership on the database then it may not be that much of a problem as the seller could fill up the tank prior to the sale.
A Full tank will cover most peoples needs for a few days.
If the idea goes ahead then it might help to keep costs down for the genuine motorist who ends up paying for those who do not.
Of greater importance it might reduce the number of accidents caused by people who should not be on the road in the first place.
I Take the point about us being the most surveiled and monitored nation on the planet and guess the reason why mainly comes down to money but in this instance it would be to our benefit.
Who knows, in years to come future generations might be chipped & Bar coded  
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I have to agree that it's a bad idea.
Who will pay to remove the abandoned cars left at the petrol station - possibly stopping the next person from using the pump?
And all the cars abandoned at the side of the road causing a blot or even a hazard?
I Guess you have not scrapped a car recently, firms will pay £50 - £100 minimum for scrap cars irrespective of condition and that includes removal of the car.
Cars would not be abandoned at the petrol station as few people arrive completely out of fuel so the car could still be driven away on what remained in the tank.
Fixes: 125

Only scrapped two cars...
Well, the first was my dad's Ford Anglier back in 1978/9 which cost him around £10/£20 to be taken away. The second was my Bluebird which was an insurance write-off and the inurance company organised the scrappage.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Who knows, in years to come future generations might be chipped & Bar coded  

And fitted with GPS trackers..  Wink Why am I winking.. they probably will  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

most of the "Homo Sapians" who fill up a car and drive off without paying, are not on the correct plates for that vehicle, they just stick genuine plates from a similar vehicle..

On TV this last week, when stopped, it was his dads car and he was driving it with permission, but didnt want to pay for the fuel, so stuck on false plate
Community Veteran

Remember a lot of garages have this technology in use already in case as stated in the article in the ST, it's simply extending it into the Police computer system.  A good idea IMO I agree with gleneagles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Couple of times I've been in Europe for an extended contract and my MOT/Tax/Insurance have expired, insurance was easy to renew. MOT and consequently car tax was a different matter.
Although a good idea I think there will always be extenuating circumstances .
(Once we did the right thing, it was a Saturday evening ferry, drove to the nearest MOT Garage and 'camped' on the forcourt, only to have the local police come and move us on).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew
Seems a reasonable idea to me. Anything that reduces the number of uninsured drivers gets my vote.

Of course, these people will not have the intelligence to understand the flaw in the system....
"I wonder if I get my mate to give me a lift to the garage, and fill up a couple of spare cans.......  Roll eyes
Might work... but... there again......I wonder...  Undecided
will it?    Huh
.... erm.... no,... I don`t think so.. he might just be not insured as well,....."  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I read an article once about fuel thieves. One said that he only stole diesel because its safer to transport in large plastic tanks. He said he'd never touch petrol as it was volatile and he'd known peoples cars explode stealing such large quantities.
I wonder if we'll see any more cars go boom soon?
Also the fact remains this will still make life incredibly difficult when buying a car. Seems like they've been trying to make that as difficult as possible lately anyway - what with the tax/sorn rules if it's not insured etc. The government tries to encourage everyone to keep the motor industry alive yet is making it ever harder and more complex / confusing to buy and sell them!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Add 50% of the motor insurance fee to the price of fuel with accident free drivers receiving a refund at the end of each year. So no massive payment upfront for motor insurance and you only pay for what you use...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.