cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Mushroom & Bacon Sandwiches This Autumn

Community Veteran

No Mushroom & Bacon Sandwiches This Autumn

I'm disappointed that there will be no freshly picked wild mushroom and bacon sandwiches for me this Autumn, as there is now a total ban on mushroom picking in the New Forest.

The why and how this ridiculous decision has been made puzzles me other than it's easy to penalise ordinary people who have been picking a handful of mushrooms every year.

Commercial picking is to blame we are told. Then stop it is the answer. Why not simply pop into New Forest Pubs and Hotels and ask to see receipts for their mushrooms. Tracking the source. Cracking down on those who buy illegally sourced mushrooms is easier than catching the pickers. If the pickers have no one to sell to then that will exffectively stop them.

And no one destroys vast areas of protected plants and animals as those who are supposed to be in charge of protecting them. I have seen mushroom protected areas and comunities of rare plants and animals disapear on the whim of someone who decided this area must be drained or this area must be flooded. It makes a joke out of prosecuting ordinary people for minor indiscretions. What message does this send out other than minor crimes are bad - mass distruction is ok.

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: No Mushroom & Bacon Sandwiches This Autumn

UK law concerning flora and fauna can be weird. It is illegal to kill badgers (Badgers Act 1992), yet the government pay gunmen to slaughter badgers to "prevent" bovine TB.  Around Derbyshire the local farmers seem to arrange traffic accidents for badgers as these shy creatures are often found dead at the roadside.

As to wild mushrooms - it seems too many people were picking them indiscriminately for profit. If these mushrooms are desirable for restaurants perhaps it would be good if some cattle farmers grew "wild" fungi instead of raising cows.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Re: No Mushroom & Bacon Sandwiches This Autumn

I briefly fell foul of those oddities when I tried to sell a badgers skull on ebay. I had many emails from various "protection societies" threatening legal action if I didn't remove it. Disappointed a school in the US who wanted it for their collection. It still seems daft considering I picked it up a couple of decades earlier on a New Forest railway line.

They need to get a grip on the unfair and unrealistic mushroom ban. Otherwise we will soon end up like many other countries in having little freedom in open spaces and needing a permit to even pick blackberries.

The Commission statement says "staff are planning to patrol areas targeted by people picking wild mushrooms". Which makes little sense as they previously failed miserably in targeting areas frequented by commercial pickers. So what's changed?

I guess instead of carrying a knife to pick mushrooms I will now instead "find mushrooms kicked over by pigs and horses".