Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Hot Water

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

No Hot Water

CH Boiler playing up....

Water dripping down from inside, called out Corgi, engineer arrived within a couple of hours.

He diagnosed a burst diaphragm somewhere inside, that needed replacing.

He didn't have any spares specific to my Boiler, so ordered spare parts,  few days wait.

Where the water was dripping down, it was dripping onto the diverter valve motor, at the time I had both CH & HW

He did say, the motor may fail, and if it did, it would stay locked in whatever position it was at the time.

To be safe, he also ordered a replacement motor.

Later on that day, the motor failed, fortunately in the CH on position.

So, CH but no HW

Electric Shower is ok, thanks.

Kettle is OK for sink stuff.

But washing hands & face in mains tap water during the day at 10ºC was bracing.

Leaving a bowl of water to warm up to room temperature of 20ºC was better.

Microwaving 1 litre of water for 3-4 mins to 30ºC was also better, but still slow.

Boiling up water then into a large flask which was brought into service, this worked fine, but you had to guess respective amounts of water to have warm water to wash in.

A bit of experimenting suggested adding one part boiling water to two parts tap water gave a nice 35ºC

Then the solution......

Place nearly full bottles of water on top of the functioning radiators, result, after a few hours, instant nice warm water 35ºC when required.

Any other suggestions ?

For a longer delay, perhaps one of these ?

Thermostatically controlled UrnThermostatically controlled Urn

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: No Hot Water

The diaphragm is probably in one of the pressure bottles/tanks. We had this happen earlier in the year and the parts are not massively expensive. For us though the technician took two visits and new parts to not solve the problem. Eventually he narrowed it down to the pressure vessel. I'd hate to call him a Plumber or an Engineer as that would besmirch those titles.

I can loan you a wood charcoal fired boiler for the garden, it does 18 litres of water.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Is it just me or does that look like a converted pedal bin!

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Mook No, it's not just you Smiley

John
Community Veteran

Mmm, @jab1, just as I thought. I blame these new age 'life hack' videos on the Internet.

Infinity
Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

I can loan you a wood charcoal fired boiler for the garden, it does 18 litres of water.

Thanks...

I can boil water in a Kettle, or Microwave, but only in small quantities.

At least we can shower OK

What I've found best today is to keep a bowl in the sink, and keep topping it up with boiling water, either from a Tea/Coffee residual boiling , or an occasional dedicated hand wash boil.

The bottles on radiators is a good backup.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't beat the old systems of having a hot water tank with an immersion heater fitted to cover emergencies like this or the old system of a tank at the back of the fire which most of us had in years gone by.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I am sure boilers have a sense of humour - they always seem to die when you most need them (i.e. now when it is cold).

It has happened to me, and a friend of mine around the same time of year. I ended up driving a few electric heaters round to a friend to help him out.

If you've got somewhere local, sort of any hardware shop, Robert Dyas, Argos et al. Then it might be a temporary solution. 

Community Veteran

As inconvenient as it is when something like this happens it just goes to show how reliant we are on our creature comforts these days. So something as basic as no hot water is a genuine inconvenience.

Infinity
Pro

Alex wrote:

It has happened to me, and a friend of mine around the same time of year. I ended up driving a few electric heaters round to a friend to help him out.

If you've got somewhere local, sort of any hardware shop, Robert Dyas, Argos et al. Then it might be a temporary solution. 

Having been snowed in in Norfolk for weeks a while back, we have always had at least one electric heater of various descriptions per room.

Nowadays they all seem to be thermostatically controlled, useful.

And we have lots of thermal Undies and other warm clothes as a fall back, including some really thick ski wear, good to minus 50C

Plus a log fire, but that only heats the room.

And a weird sleeping bag, with holes for head & arms !!

Community Veteran

Large catering-grade soup pan, tap rammed into the side, hob, instant hot water tank... Smiley

Oh, wait, I just reinvented the tea urn, darn it.........

Pete11
Pro

I have 2 camping stoves that runs off little gas canisters (4 for 4 quid). No problem in making a hot cuppa or heating up some grub (keeps hands warm too when fishing winter league sessions).  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Got two of those stoves myself aswell (13 year old Gelert branded one that weighs a tonne, and a 2 or 3 year old Camingaz one that feels like it'd blow away in a light breeze, amazing how they've cheapened them over time!!) they're useful to have around for emergencies, or when you really need the controllability of gas when cooking something that needs more specific control than an electric hob can provide... Smiley

Pete11
Pro

You're not wrong there @twocvbloke, cheap to run too (I like cheap). Cheesy

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Reminds me of the time around 7-8 years ago.

It wasn't weather related, in local news people tried to cut through an electrical cable. Metal = cash.

Where I lived, someone said the power company cycle the power around now (and I heard what had happened), at 9pm it'll go off in our area and will be cycled around.

Around 9:10 it did. He was right. My power went off.

Went over to my parents. Dad had a generator. Used it. Wasn't that powerful to do much. I think we got it to keep the fridge freezer on (unless you want an expensive shop) and the TV running for the night.