Did you mean: 

No Hope, No Glory

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

No Hope, No Glory

Britain today..

No Hope, No Glory

Ridiculous

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8657909/Academics-demand-Rule-Britannia-Land-Hope-Glory-BAN...

I for one will stand and sing at home, during the Music

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!

Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

Land of Hope and Glory

Mother of the Free

How shall we extol thee

Who are born of thee?

13 REPLIES 13
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: No Hope, No Glory

The BBC ( by legal poll tax) and academics are both funded with taxpayers' money making the Government complicit in destroying traditional values.

This year is the 80th aniversary of the Battle of Britain which prevented comparatively recent invasion and enslavement. Before that the Royal Navy defended us against Philip of Spain (The Armada) and subsequently Napoleon and the French Fleet. We should be proud of what these men gave their lives for.

#RuleBritannia

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

My understanding is that the music will be played but there will be no singing because the concert will be performed without an audience.  Next year - COVID-19 willing - it will be back to normal.  How about a few hundred socially-distanced people with good singing voices encircling the Royal Albert Hall and singing?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I know, the way the PC Brigade are going our national anthem will change from:

"God save our gracious Queen"

to:

"Someone who may not be god (or might be), in case people are atheist doesn't necessarily believe in God try and save our Queen but not necessarily the Queen maybe someone else who is of an indeterminate gender instead".

The world is going mad.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 8

@Lægen wrote:

Britain today..

No Hope, No Glory

No Future

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

U turn.... U Turn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8689593/Land-Hope-Glory-Rule-Britannia-sung-Proms.html

The songs Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope and Glory will now be sung at the Last Night of the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall after a massive U-turn by the BBC

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Good to hear... no pun intended.

I know one of those that called attention to this was involved with BBC Songs of Praise programs - which struck be as rather odd if not hypocritical given that the words of many of our favourite hymns do not bear close scrutiny.

Terrible swift swords or 'marching as to war anyone'. How about nailing somebody up - that has to worth a decent tune surely.

A real can of worms, and an ill thought out attack on our nations heritage, history and traditions.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

How about nailing somebody up - that has to worth a decent tune surely.  

I thought 'Always look on the bright side of life' was the accompaniment there, at least according to Monty Python.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

You don't hear the second verse of the national anthem very often.

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

Well to be also honest you don't hear the first verse very often either these days although I think they might have sung it at Harry and Meghan's wedding. 

I wonder if Charles when if and when he does sing it, does so through gritted teeth.  

Love my country, not much of a royalist and cannot remember ever singing the words to it m'self although I probabaly did at one time.

Now Land of Hope and Glory, there's a tune and with words to be sung with gusto!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Now Land of Hope and Glory, there's a tune and with words to be sung with gusto!  

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set”

Well, I for one will not be singing a song promoting the increased subjugation of others through the extension of the British empire.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman  Some songs are just "made" to be sung "in company"... just for the sheer enjoyment of singing together...  many an old sea shanty, and other "ribald" songs, has been sung in many a bar around the world, with other nationals joining in, all enjoying the good international friendship through song..... ( and beer and cigarette smoke, of course  GrinCheesyGrin)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I know what you mean.

I recall singing along to the Welsh National Anthem in the bar of The Winter Gardens Blackpool. There for the NUS conference and no bad feeling anywhere, just our delegation enjoying the fact that this Englishman knew it in Welsh!

All good fun and as you say @shutter all enjoying the good international friendship through song. After all, it's never just the flag St George being waved around on Last Night of the Proms is it.

Jonpe
Hero

Perhaps the last verse should be included in the event of indiref 2:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the Queen

The 'Official peace version, 1919' (scroll down the Wikipedia page) has a second verse referring to the four races of these islands and a third verse being very inclusive, especially for 1919.

@Minivanman, you are not the only Englishman fluent in the Welsh national anthem. 🤣