cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmares

Razer
Grafter

Nightmares

Having nightmares is an off/on experience for me. As a child I had them every night, as an adult I can go a long time without any, then have a spate of them. I think I'm on a spate, having had two in the last three days, one of which was/is deeply upsetting to me, the other - well, not nice but doesn't plague me like last night's. What are your experiences with nightmares? Do you have them often? Do they plague you for a time when you've had one?
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Nightmares

I rarely have them - the ones I have that upset me are ones where something happens to my kids.
It takes a lot to shock me - in most dreams and nightmares I'm aware that I am dreaming.
The weirdest experience I''ve ever had was when I was quite ill for a few days and had a dream that seemed to last a lifetime. I was actually living a different life with a different family. The dream itself felt like it lasted for years - nothing seemed dreamlike and it was the most realistic dream I've ever had. Even going to work for hours was in the dream, family holidays etc.
I still remember the moment I woke up and the confusion for the next few days - it was actually like I'd lost my whole family. Not something I'd ever want to go through again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've had some really strange ones in the past. I once dreamed the borg from star trek were invading my workplace and I was the last human surviving and they were after me. Absolutely terrifying and I woke up covered in sweat with my heart pounding away. I had another that the place was haunted and stuff was flying round in the air.. woke with the same results.
I don't think I really have proper knightmares though apart from the two I just mentioned. I do have unpleasant dreams sometimes involving deceased members of the family or deceased pets etc but nothing that I would call a nightmare. The night I came home from hospital though I was apparently calling out "HELP!" several times in the night. I have no memory of that though or any dream that I was experiencing at the time.
On a slightly related note, when I was in hospital I was on morhine via a PCA (Patient Controlled via a push button). I was encouraged to press the button every 5 minutes but I didn't achieve that often. The stuff does however make you hallucinate easily. I saw all sorts of things.. it was like I had access to the library of god and the human body. I quite literally saw slide presentations on how the human eye is designed (along with others but the eye was most memorable), labels of all the parts and a 3D animation of one being built up layer by layer all within 3 seconds. There so many other things I saw too.. not just human body part designs but plans for the human race.. and again every different item / event I saw was squeezed into 3 seconds and fast forwarded. How do I know how long? No idea but at the time I seemed to have access to some sort of internal clock from my subconscious  Shocked I kid you not, the stuff I saw was incredible. Very scary being out of control but these things were incredible at the same time. I even saw designs and the build process for our first interstellar space craft too - launched weirdly from europe not the USA in a couple of centuries (Italy / Romania to be exact). Not something I'd ever want to repeat but it did leave me a bit stumped at the same time making me wonder if the human race was 'created' and if we have a purpose.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

@Sprite - On the same theme, when I up in intensive care after a six hour operation, I was really struggling to breath. I could not speak & felt like a metal cage was digging into my skin (that was the stitches around 8 inches long).
I recall wanting to shout out for help or trying to cry out for help, but nothing came out of my throat/mouth - I really did to shout out for help!, but I visualised that I was stuck in the corner of a dark room with the doctors & nurses, far away,
totally ignoring me. I could hear them talking about/to another patient (or patients) & ignoring me.
That is my worst nightmare, but alas it was true Sad
Community Veteran

I hear ya mate. When I went in I was struggling to breath and I still am even now! The op was 2 or 3 weeks ago now and I still can't breath deeply properly. When I came out of the op I could barely breath at all - it was very shallow and I was in the High Dependancy Unit for 3 or 4 days (I thought it was 3 but my partner says it was 4). They had to turn off the volume on the vitals monitor because hearing my own pulse kept making my heart go bonkers. One night they had a load of staff in there that were very relaxed and not pro-active. I thought I was a dead man that night and rang my partner who came and spent the night with me to keep me calm. The whole experience was very traumatic. It was only a small op at 1.5 hours compared to yours but it really did put me through the mill. I've never felt so physically weak and every movement was painful and left me shaking as I had so little energy. Not something I'd want to repeat again but at least I'm alive! Using a Zimmer in my early 30s to get to the toilet..  Shocked
Razer
Grafter

Yes, I felt I had to use the word 'nightmare' but I don't normally describe what I'm talking about as nightmares. The one's as a kid, yes, but as an adult, no, somehow they are different to me - mostly distressing, but even the ones where I may be afraid (Sprite, I loved your Borg invasion one, though I can sympathise with the fear part), it doesn't seem right to me to call them nightmares, as such. I suppose they still are, though.
Sprite, I also loved reading your dreams in hospital, and yours, shalom. Always interesting to me because I know the weird, frightening, frustrating, upsetting dreams that pains/treatments/drugs can produce. As for your dream, picbits, very interesting. I can sympathise. I once dreamt of everything. haha. Yes, everything - there was no way I could get that written down on paper when I woke up, nor remember even a minuscule amount of detail other than the final scene, which was very much like a painting in the Bhagavad Gita . Like you I am also often conscious when I'm dreaming, or become conscious that I am dreaming, and I have double perspective often. I have also had other dreams of such complexity, with multiple concurrent perspectives. Lots of really deep dreams about the nature of existence and all that business (what your slides dreams reminded me of, Sprite). Don't really tend to have those kind any more, though.
shalom2010
Grafter

A deep thought - The real nightmares are....real!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Must be lucky, have a few dreams but never any nightmares.
What I remember of the dreams usually relate to incidents or people I know from years ago or even stuff in films or on the television except it's all mixed up and makes no sense.
One thing no one has asked/mentioned.......... are your dreams/nightmares in Colour or Black & White ?
Razer
Grafter

Always colour for me.
Quote from: shalom2010
A deep thought - The real nightmares are....real!!

Haha! Well they're real enough to the mind at the time. All of them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As a kid I used to have terrible nightmares of being squeezed thru the eye of a needle and popping out in another time and place.
Then in my teens I started to read SciFi of wormholes, travels in the 5th dimension and of Einstein-Rosen Bridges.
I still have the ‘dreams’, they are still frightening, but as I understand the process of what I think is happening I try to ‘enjoy the ride’ and not wake in a cold fearful sweat. Just occasionally I wake being a little ‘scared’ and have to turn on the light and try to forget where I’ve been.
I just wish I had the ability (or the courage) to take notes and record where I’ve been and what I’ve seen.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
One thing no one has asked/mentioned.......... are your dreams/nightmares in Colour or Black & White ?

Shocked Colour - always! I never thought it possible to dream in mono?
Community Veteran

I'm sure I read somewhere that some "expert" said all our dreams are in black and white.
Don't know about that because all the blood in my nightmares seems red enough.
shalom2010
Grafter

As a child, I lived in a house with a dark staircase and whenever I went up the stairs (usually really fast), I would always had in my mind the wicked witch from Wizard of Oz, on her broomstick laughing at me, as I was so frightened!
Community Veteran

I can beat that, wardrobes and cupboards always used to give me the willys as a kid. For some reason I always thought the wardrobe would creep forward and eat me lol. I hated the damn things. Much happier with an open wardrobe  Wink
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Shocked Colour - always! I never thought it possible to dream in mono?

Think about blind people. Some may dream of blurry images, some of simple colour scapes, but most, I have read before, simply dream of blackness when it comes to the visual elements.
Quote from: journeys
As a kid ...

Wonderful dreams. Thanks for sharing that. I hope you come more and more to be able to overcome the fear aspect and do enjoy the ride. I've had similar, though not involving being squeezed through the eye of a needle. I must admit that part did make me laugh.
Quote from: shalom2010
As a child, I lived in a house with a dark staircase and whenever I went up the stairs (usually really fast), I would always had in my mind the wicked witch from Wizard of Oz, on her broomstick laughing at me, as I was so frightened!

Aww, bless the child you were. That's so sweet. I used to be terrified of that witch when I was a kid. And the monkeys. Oh god, the monkeys!  Embarrassed  Cry
Quote from: Sprite
... For some reason I always thought the wardrobe would creep forward and eat me lol. ...

That really made me laugh. Bless.
I don't recall any of the many nightmares I had as a child. I usually don't recall any from my adulthood after a little while either.