cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nicknames.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nicknames.

If you ever watch some of these programs about the Police service, Fire Service and a number of other services it seems that individuals are often referred to by a nickname, either one that has been chosen for them or perhaps one they have made up themselves.
The question is, should any professional person have or be addressed by a nickname. If you went to the local hospital and staff were addressing each other by some (often silly) nickname would it bother you ? Would you think they were less professional by doing so ?
If some groups  of professional people are expected adhere to a particular standard should all professional groups not do so ?
7 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Nicknames.

The Police, Fire Service and other professional services should not use Nicknames, thay should use The Name on the ID Badge.
Fixes: 125

Well, I think I may be a little concerned if my surgeon was introduced as Dr 'Tremors' Hutchinson.
I would probably change barbar if he was called 'Cut-Throat' 'Arry.
Seriously, I think nicknames are best left as private between the professionals. Anything else hints at familiarity and we all know what that breeds... Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Midnight
The Police, Fire Service and other professional services should not use Nicknames, thay should use The Name on the ID Badge.

Erm not in public, they should use their radio callsign / number otherwise members of the public might get wind of their name and go stalking etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

When I used to use a CB even I had a nickname (handle)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The three services noted in this thread (Fire, Police and Ambulance) Are run at the sharp end on pseudo military lines, indeed many of the staff come from the military services, where the use of nick-names is almost obligatory and encouraged. It is quite natural for these people to continue the "habit" in civilian life. In stressful situations where there can be many different services involved (major traffic accidents come to mind) using nick-names can sometimes be a light pressure relief and often the simplest way of directing instructions to the right person, especially where there may be chaotic situations and possibly more than one person sharing the same christian name.
Having said that, using nick-names which do not agree with the names on ID badges that most of these guys are obliged to wear these days can at best be confusing at worst mildly dangerous for the general public involved in any stressful situation. However, in jobs where I've been obliged to wear ID what is actually written on it is at the choice of the person actually wearing it. I've worked with several people who had their nick-names on their wearable ID's along with their given name.
Because of my surname, co-workers have almost since starting work from school, without any encouragement from me within a very short time have automatically begun to call me "Lou" (or more precisely Lew) I've never objected to it, in fact rather enjoyed the familiarity.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Steve
When I used to use a CB even I had a nickname (handle)
Yes but that was CB if you had moved across to amateur radio you would have used a call sign !
Although my original post was really about the paid services.
Community Veteran

In most services, use of nicknames between themselves is the norm. Obviously in talking to "outsiders", they should (and in my experience do) use the person's proper name and  / or rank.
It helps to encourage an esprit de corps, and I wouldn't have a problem with it.
John