cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nick, Nick, Nicked

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Nick, Nick, Nicked

Uninsured drivers could find themselves being pulled over and their vehicles confiscated today.

Merseyside Police have spent the morning seizing uninsured vehicles across the city.

A post from the roads policing unit on Twitter at 10.40am highlighted this morning’s actions by traffic police.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/police-seizing-cars-with-no-insurance-across-liverpool/...

11 REPLIES 11
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Nick, Nick, Nicked

No fan of insurance companies or how they work out those premiums, but that all sounds good to me. They might also like to make a note if not noted already of that one parked up on the pavement. 

Capture.JPG 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I thought that's what the old bill did every day anyway? - didn't realise they only did it when they could be bothered with some publicity!

As for pavement parking, it's actually legal unless there's a parking restriction that bans it. Madness i know but that's how it works. It's driving along the pavement or across it (if not lowered) which is unlawful.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@7up 

As I understood it, it was legal yes but only if they were not causing an obstruction. All for easing traffic flow and if parking up on the pavement helps then fine, but if a wheelchair or a baby buggy cannot get through and as a consequence has to go out into the road, then that is far from fine and I have a real problem with that - and so will the owner of the car if they cop a fine... pun intended. 

I dunno, the older I get the more selfish people seem to get as well.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

My Mother’s guide dog would just sit down and refuse to move in front of a parked car on the pavement,

Mother would have to ask for help from other people passing by.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Not uncommon to see cars parked halfway across the pavement with the other half covering a cycle lane.

Some people are under the impression that the road outside their house gives them the exclusive right to park there as can be seen by private no parking notices or car owner lives here. 

I understand in London it is illegal to park on or partly on the pavement and causing a obstruction or not the car will be taken away and a considerable sum of money has to be paid before it is released, Insurance documents etc also have to be shown prior to release...

So if that applies to London, why not elsewhere ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Champnet
Champion

Isn’t this a policy made by, and enforced by, local Councils ?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yes hence my comment about parking restrictions.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Champnet
Champion

Agreed, so should the restrictions be applied Nationwide rather than Local ?

Another scenario : In the mid 90’s I was doing contract work for a well known Financial institution in the middle of Brighton. Never seen it before, or since,  but cars were double parked in the streets. If you were parked on the inside by the pavement, usually the house owners, you were stuck. Reducing narrow streets by four car widths made it impossible for emergency vehicles to get through. I remember threats being made by the local fire brigade to force their vehicles through and charge any damage to the car owners insurers. Haven’t been in Brighton since. Would love to know from anyone living in the area now how it all worked out....

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Champnet I don't live in Brighton, but visit friends there, and it still goes on - the double/triple parking - but they do ticket them in the centre, not so much the suburbs, where it is even more prevalent, though.

John
Champnet
Champion

@jab1  Thanks for the update..........

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

I understand in London it is illegal to park on or partly on the pavement and causing a obstruction or not the car will be taken away and a considerable sum of money has to be paid before it is released, Insurance documents etc also have to be shown prior to release...

So if that applies to London, why not elsewhere ?

There was a news item about this earlier this year, and it was proposed that it should be illegal throughout the country.

Re. double parking:  We have private parking spaces but in the past people who lived up the road used to park in front of some of my neighbours' cars so the owner of the parking space would be unable to leave.