cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nick Names

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nick Names

Most school children and youths have nick names for each other and some are not too complimentary but what I can't understand is why some professional groups of people also insist on giving nick names to colleagues ? Is it not a bit childish ?
You are unlikely to go into hospital and hear staff refer to each other using Nick names or deal with solicitors and others who use Nick Names to refer to colleagues.
Any thoughts on this.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Nick Names

If you watch Police Interceptors on Channel 5,  all the characters have a nickname, and often refer to each other by nickname.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Nick Names

Nick-names have been in use for a very long time. I read but can't quote any that the ancient Egyptians were great ones for nick-names.
I can't really see anything wrong with them, they're usually light-hearted even when they're uncomplimentary they're rarely meant with any malice.
Some of the more common:
Dusty: for those with Miller as a surname.
Lofty: for any one who is vertically challenged.
Shorty: for those in the opposite extreme.
Sparks: for electricians.
There are many more... 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.