cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice little earner

Fixes: 125

Nice little earner

Couple buy toll bridge that will earn them a tax-free £100,000 per year... and it only cost them £40...
The crossing, which comes with a two-bedroom cottage and 1.1 acres of land, was built in 1779 with an Act of Parliament granting exemption from tax because it was privately funded.
The couple, who sold their training company in the Cotswolds, also don't have to worry about VAT, stamp duty, business rates and capital gains tax.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Nice little earner

Yeah I read that on the sun today too. I couldn't believe it! What a find!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Their only costs are potential staff wages and the bridge's £12,000 annual maintenance.
The crossing last underwent major reconstruction work in 1993.

If it goes wrong they will be lucky to see a return, repairs won't come cheap if or more likely when it needs more maintenance.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I wouldn't be so sure. At £100k per year, even if it needs £200k of maintenance thats what.. 2 years to pay for it.
They're without a doubt, quids in.
dick:quote
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Their only costs are potential staff wages and the bridge's £12,000 annual maintenance.

It underwent a near complete reconstruction in 1993, costing the then owner £300,000.

Even if traffic is heavier and the bridge required major rennovation in 15 years and the cost was doubled they's still have £48,000 a year tax free if they put aside £40,000.
He introduced an automatic barrier to replace the booth where the bridge keeper would sit and an 'honesty box' to be used at night.

I wonder if the takings actually went down by much or if the collective users were honest Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still