Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next door neighbours nettles.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Next door neighbours nettles.

Now the weather has started to warm up, how on earth do we stop them coming through into our garden from next door?

They must have at least two acres - which is fine, but why must they allow their nettles to grow into our own ten square metre patch of nothingness, and how can we get rid of them. Sure we could just keep cutting them down but like dandelions they seem to grow back with a renewed vengence overnight.  

That's the nettles by the way, not the neighbours... although come to think of it.  

PS. I did mention to the Mrs that butterflies like nettles but given that we only have a small garden...

21 REPLIES 21
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

Re: Next door neighbours nettles.

How much length and area of ground, your side, of the fence is affected?

What kind of fence is the border between the land areas?

What kind of ground is the land ... ( clay, friable, heavy going, sandy  etc  ?  )

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

At the moment they are making their way under about one meter of a thick stone wall, and the ground although clay if you dig deep enough is now pretty good a) because we used to keep chickens there and b) we keep it well mulched. Because the soil was so poor when we moved in having had generations of ash tipped over it, the garden is now sectioned off into four raised beds.

I have worked hard to make it what it is now and it's just so annoying to see those nettles trying to take over.  

Community Veteran

Might be worth digging a ditch next to the wall, about 18 inches wide, and as deep as the footings of the wall.... clean away ALL the dirt from the wall, and check to see if roots of the nettles have actually penetrated the "mortar" between the stones...(treat any with weedkiller)...   all the muck that you have dug away, needs to be carefully sifted and remove ANY thing that looks like root.  

If the area further than 18 inches away from the wall, is also affected by the nettle growth, then , again, you need to remove as much muck as possible, seive it,  and remove anything that looks like roots, no matter how small or broken. 

Before returning the seived & cleaned muck back, you should drown the ground in the hole, and the sides, in a biocide weedkiller. 

If you can, you could also "shutter" the wall with some new concrete, between boards and the wall surface, (Pre-mixed bags available at B&Q and other builders merchants )..about 1inch thick should do...

After returning the seived muck, cover the ground with black plastic for a whole year...

Hopefully, next spring, you should be able to re stock the area, and treat any residual (missed) nettle plants as they appear, by carefully digging them out, or strong weedkiller that works on the roots...

Good Luck.

P.S.  just seen the bit about "raised beds"... if these are affected.... the only way is to remove all the soil,  seive it as mentioned, but put a butyl liner as used in ponds, in the raise bed to prevent root infestation from outside, before returning the seived soil.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Surely it won't matter what you do as the seeds / spores will still get carried in the breeze.

Community Veteran

Nettles are notorious for spreading "underground" via their root system,.... similar to MINT.. ( not  the Linux version ! )..

Any "new growth" from seeds/spores should, of course, be treated as "normal" weeding process . which, having cleaned the ground, will be obvious as soon as they appear, and therefore the root system will not have time to establish itself.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sounds like good advice there @shutter, thanks.

I had thought about digging beside the wall a shoving down some spare slate tiles I have.

They are certainly pesky blighters, and certainly if I had a bigger garden I'd be more than happy to let them grow for the wildlife but not to let grow them through to next door. I know of folk that have to put up with bamboo shoots invading or dare I mention them, Leylandii trees blocking out what little sunshine we get at times. 

Neighbours eh.   

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  The thing is.... you need to make sure that the roots have nowhere to go, on your side... in effect. you need to seal the area off... just jamming a few slates down against the wall, will not do anything. as the roots will just find their way around and between them... hence my suggestion of cement/concrete shuttering. 

Even with that done, there is still a chance they will go deeper and invade your space, but thats a chance you have to take, and maybe it would take a few years before they appeared ( with luck ! ).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Minivanman, if you don't want to use biocides use salt* instead it will sterilise the ground for a long long time.

* = You should be able to buy drive clearing salt cheap at this time of year and is a lot cheaper than table salt and you don't need so much as the granules are much larger and last longer.

Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 2

Anyone for a cup of nettle tea 😂
RobPN
Champion
Fixes: 4

Would Glyphosate be effective against nettles?

It works against Leylandii if you drill the roots and inject it into the holes. Roll eyesLips are sealed

Community Veteran

@RobPN  Have you ever seen the root system of a bed of nettles  ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Undecided

RobPN
Champion
Fixes: 4

@shutter 

No, but ...

Glyphosate (originally as 'Roundup' but now available cheaper under other names since their patent expired) is applied to the leaves and kills the whole plant, right back to the roots, at least that's what is claimed.

In the case of the Leylandii I mentioned, it worked the other way. Wink

Good stuff.

Community Veteran

@RobPN  I had a mental picture of you , as a mole, tunneling around underground, with a hyperdermic needle, injecting Nettle roots  Cheesy

Community Veteran

Have you discussed the problem with your neighbour?