cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next day delivery

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Next day delivery

Do you pay extra for the quicker delivery options when ordering something on-line?
Yesterday morning at around 10:40 I ordered a new UPS from eBuyer. I opted for the free within 5 working days delivery. I could have paid an extra £10.66 for next working day, £9.67 for two working days or £8.67 for 3 working days.
This morning I received an email to say it had been despatched and looking at the tracking it was loaded on to the local Yodel delivery van at 8:15 so I should get it today. It's not the first time I've had "5 working days" delivered within a day.
Strikes me that all the faster delivery options are a bit of a con and only in say the run up to Christmas is it worth paying the extra.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
32 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Next day delivery

If it is something I need yesterday, and it is available at a reasonable price at Amazon, I get a friend with Amazon Prime to order it, otherwise I just select the cheapest delivery option. usually find it's here within a couple of days, even from Marketplace sellers.
Mind you, that 2/3 day delivery seems to apply to most things I buy.
John
Community Veteran

Often had items delivered within 2 days using the free delivery option.
The charge for delivery is a bit of a con, if you pay for it and it doesn't arrive within the specified time what will you do about it ? Very unlikely you will get your money back or the cost of time you spend in trying to get your money back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ebuyer do some strange things. I ordered a computer case from them once and they sent me two! Weirdly the delivery guy seemed to know about it as he was testing me out by saying "i think i might of seen a second one in there for you". Needless to say I signed and then said "So where's the other one that this slip mentions mate?" I think he thought he might be onto a freebie himself - what makes him think I didn't order them both? They never did ask for it back.. months down the line it was still sat in the cupboard waiting for them and i gave it away eventually.
Fastest delivery I had was an engine crane. Ordered on ebay at something crazy like 4pm and 7:15am I had the delivery guy thumping on the door asking for help with it  Grin I was utterly shocked! Needless to say it was assembled in the living room ready for my missus coming home at lunch time (you should have seen her face!  Cheesy )
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Engine crane for your missus ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No for the car.. I just couldn't resist putting it together when it arrived. Unfortunately for her it happened in the living room  Cheesy
She came home for lunch and the first word out of her mouth was "Oh..."  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

In my experience it has seemed that, most of the time, it has been the larger items that have been delivered the next day or two under the free delivery option rather than the smaller ones.
Could this be because both the supplier and the deliverers would rather free up the space?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quote from: jelv
Do you pay extra for the quicker delivery options when ordering something on-line?
Never
Community Veteran

If it is a business purchase and I need it in a hurry then I will pay for express delivery.
If I have other things I need to do (i.e. go to customers and earn money !) then I'll pay for a guaranteed delivery and wait in for the item.
If it is a misprice on a website and a deal too good to be true, I'll pay for express delivery and hope mine goes out of the door before they notice their mistake Wink
janitor
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Often had items delivered within 2 days using the free delivery option.
The charge for delivery is a bit of a con, if you pay for it and it doesn't arrive within the specified time what will you do about it ? Very unlikely you will get your money back or the cost of time you spend in trying to get your money back.

Never had to spend time getting failed next day delivery charge back, from amazon, ebuyer or john Lewis I just ring them a tell them it's failed to arrive, they refund the money, only usually use next day with amazon now though, and that's because I have amazon prime.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I never need anything delivered the next day, I try and be organized enough to avoid being dependent on delivery times.
I try and get everything sent by second class mail, as it usually arrives in two or three days, and save the pennies compared to first class or special delivery.  I frequently ask eBay sellers if they would reduce their stated postage cost if the item could be sent second class instead of Special Delivery - as most eBay purchases are usually independent of any timescales.
I also favour Royal Mail packets and parcels, because if I happen to not be available to receive the item, then it gets left at the local Post Office for collection - which is only a couple of minutes walk away.  For other couriers, I would have to rearrange delivery and then hang around listening for the doorbell all day.
Devonian
Grafter

The speed of economy delivery is based purely and simply on how busy the drivers route is.
The premium deliveries (Next day/AM/PM etc) are loaded to the delivery van, then the economy deliveries are used to make up the route.
Each route has a minimum number of stops each driver must make.
So it's the luck of the draw.. and like my route, the luck of your address.
Economy deliveries can it around in your local depot for 3 or 4 days.
Quite often the tracking lies, so you can't pay to much attention to that until it says it's out for delivery.
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: 7up

Fastest delivery I had was an engine crane. Ordered on ebay at something crazy like 4pm and 7:15am I had the delivery guy thumping on the door asking for help with it  Grin I was utterly shocked! Needless to say it was assembled in the living room ready for my missus coming home at lunch time (you should have seen her face!  Cheesy )

I've ordered something from ebuyer late on a Sunday night with next day delivery because we needed it fairly quickly think it was about 10minutes before their cut off time and it still arrived Monday morning.
Taken a Prime Trial before and ordered a USB Car charger from amazon to a mates house after discovering mine didn't deliver enough current to keep my phone charged when sat-nav was running and needing it for a 5hour drive.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
Quite often the tracking lies, so you can't pay to much attention to that until it says it's out for delivery.

It can lie even when it says out for delivery.
Delivery attempted, call card left

Both of those statements are untrue! At the time the tracking says (17:42) there were three of us in the house, lights on. Not a happy bunny!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wykehamhouse
Grafter

We have Amazon Prime for next day delivery. If it doesn't come next day, one contacts Amazon via live chat and they give you a free month of Prime at the end of one's membership. I think it's well worth it, especially considering how much our family orders from Amazon nowadays.