cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Years Energy Bill - comparative results

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Next Years Energy Bill - comparative results

There has been some discussion on here about "compare" the energy suppliers and projected savings....
My current (?) supplier is Scottish & Southern Electricity,  (SSE) for both Elec and Gas  ... I am on a fixed tariff until April 1st called Discount Bonus April 15...
SSE sent me a email to say that this tariff was closing ... and would I like to continue with them on another ( presumably Standard ) tariff.... so I have been doing some "compare the market" research...
First of all... I had a lot of problems waiting for SSE to give me information regarding my previous years consumption and a projection to the coming year.... The reply I got back after 7 days, stated that I had to phone them for the info.... as it could not be given in an email... so i wrote an email to the senior customer service person..explaining that I am hard of hearing and have difficulty understanding, and hearing people on the phone....... and ... guess what I got the info...  by email..... within 30 minutes....
Having been a customer for about 7 years... I am disgusted with that kind of service... so am considering my options....
.......  stay with SSE... next "fixed" tariff is called  "Fix & Shop Feb 17 - Paper"  and on the basis of my previous consumption ..
the results would be                                        ... personal projection £1179.93..................Saving per year £107.83
...........So I went to the Uswitch site.... and they come up with
Scottish Power...  Online Fixed Price Energy March 2016                                                    with a Saving of  £202.84
............remembering The Bid Deal site , (from previous thread on here)...

First Utility...........  iSave Fixed March 2016 v44 ........... personal projection  £906.43    Saving per year      £381.33
Looks like SSE have shot themselves in the foot... and I shall most probably be going to First Utility....  the only thing I am concerned about is "fixed Direct Debit" payment... so I am going to email them and see what they can do about that.. or offer me another tariff where I "pay bill on demand" paper type billing.....
I prefer paper bill, or email bill, because it gives me a paper bill that proves I live at my address, should some "authority" demand it... and also I like to pay my bills when they are due and not give companies money they are not due ..( eg summertime bills are lower therefore the DD would be "overpaying" )... or being told my DD is not covering the bill they produce...

40 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: Next Years Energy Bill - comparative results

I am with ebico via SSE, and will be moving to the iSave Fixed March 2016 v44 from First Utility as well .
Topcashback are offering £50.25 for dual and £25.25 for single fuel.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Could be wrong but I doubt any of the Big Six could match any of the smaller suppliers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If you move to pay on bill it will be more expensive. I've been with first util for several years now, keep moving to a cheaper long term tariff as they arrive, not been charged for doing so either.
Currently on a fixed to 2016, there are cheaper ones about at the mo, but I prefer to fix long term rather than take a quick gamble.
why not just check with the web site, or try the MSE energy club.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

@ge your comparing paper tarrifs with online tarrifs there
I found the sse fixed price 2017 online only tarrif a lot cheaper than the paper one (there estimator told me it was about £100 cheaper) also if your an online customer there is no restriction on the my account page on how often you can access your usage figures
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

First:Utility sent me an email the other day with details of their iSave V43 March 2018 tariff. Prices fixed for 3 years.
Electric: 13.79p/kWh Standing charge 17.85p/day
Gas: 3.816p/kWh Standing charge 17.85p/day
Haven't decided yet but need to check if there are any fees for switching from my current tariff which was only taken out last July for fixed 1 year term.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Superuser
Superuser

@Hairy McBiker , how have you found First Utility customer service?
Kind Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Usually excellent, they answer emails usually in a couple of days.
Most of the info is on the web site, I can view my past bills, last years usage etc on line.
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the info Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
First:Utility sent me an email the other day with details of their iSave V43 March 2018 tariff. Prices fixed for 3 years.
Electric: 13.79p/kWh Standing charge 17.85p/day
Gas: 3.816p/kWh Standing charge 17.85p/day
Haven't decided yet but need to check if there are any fees for switching from my current tariff which was only taken out last July for fixed 1 year term.

Thanks for that, just switched. Saved me £150/year and it is longer by 2 years!
It's actually £30 dearer.
But I get:
El:   Unit rate 11.549p per kWh Standing charge 20.00p per day
Ga: Unit rate 2.997p per kWh Standing charge 20.00p per day

Used wrong tariff:
Gas :Unit rate 3.654p per kWh
El: Unit rate 13.665p per kWh
Standing charge 17.33p per day  (same for both)

par for the course!
I switched to V44 fixed to next March.
Community Veteran

One benifit with First, is this new tariff will be active from 1st of next month. No waiting to switch.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

that standing charge Is high
although having said that Scottish power put there price up from 15p/day to 37.5p/day in December without actually bothering to send out an email or letter, strange that the fixed price deals don't have a fixed standing charge price ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

If you look at post #24 here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136881.0.html
You will find the rates I got from First Utility - much better Smiley
Community Veteran

You need to compare the Tariff Comparison Rate which on my current is 4.31p/KWh and 14.72p/KWh and will be 3.53p & 13.83p
But this is on a fixed rate tariff!
The standing charge is high, but the unit cost is low, depends on your usage really.
Yep it depends on you location what you get charged. Here in the Sottish Borders is is higher than elsewhere, but we can't lie about our location!
From the bumf:
The TCR is a single figure that represents the cost per kWh that a typical consumer would incur on this tariff. It is based on the energy used by the average household (3,200 kWh for electricity and 13,500 kWh for gas) and the standing charges and unit rates of this tariff. It also takes into account any relevant discounts, for example a £12 per fuel, per year, discount is available for paperless billing and cheaper rates are available for customers who pay by Direct Debit. It can be used as an approximate guide for comparing tariffs but is not an actual price. You can find the TCR of your current tariff on your bill or Annual Statement.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I shall most probably be going to First Utility....  the only thing I am concerned about is "fixed Direct Debit" payment... so I am going to email them and see what they can do about that.. or offer me another tariff where I "pay bill on demand" paper type billing.....

No need to worry Shutter, It is possible to pay by variable direct debit.