Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newspaper headlines.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Newspaper headlines.

I notice my electricity/gas supplier has changed their tactic regarding 'encouraging' me to get smart meters.  They used to send me letters saying my meters were now in the warehouse ready to be installed.  Then they started saying that meters would be installed in my road in a couple of weeks and would I please make an appointment.  Neither of those to options stirred me into action so now they send me communications with headlines like, "Not everyone can get a smart meter, check below to see if you are one of the lucky ones who can."  I don't think trying to make smart meters sound exclusive is going to work, unless you are Hyacinth Bucket perhaps.

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

My energy supplier has also changed tack, they are now saying that my gas meter is at the end of it's life and has to  be replaced. I have declined a smart meter and they are now saying that they will have to try to source a suitable meter!

I feel that the pressure will soon be cranked up to an unacceptable level.

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 31

@agedgopher wrote:

My energy supplier has also changed tack, they are now saying that my gas meter is at the end of it's life and has to  be replaced.

They might try and tell you otherwise, but a smart meter can be installed in 'dumb' mode.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

If it was installed as such, I wonder if it could then later be 'accidentally or otherwise' switched to smart mode (possibly without the customer knowing)?  Undecided   

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

As I understand it most of these smart meters work on the 2G band which some articles have suggested may be turned off in 2025.....

If that is correct what then, a engineers visit to amend some part of the meter or even a replacement meter....

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

That being the case @gleneagles you will be sent another one in the post and asked to send the other one back and like our old style telephone equipment, it will no doubt be dumped and buried in a landfill site somewhere or shipped off to Nigeria. 

On that note, how many internet hubs are sent back when (as many do) change from one provider to another. Stuck in the back of the cupboard, chucked in the shed, or are they being posted off.

Might be interesting to know the numbers... and yes, I did send mine back to BT/Plusnet. 😉    

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 70

@Minivanman I have two TG582N routers from PN, both of which will be returned when I switch, and a couple of my own which will be properly disposed of.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

"At the end of the day my life is more important than saving energy and the planet, as that is rather irrelevant if I am no longer here".

Really? @Alex 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.