Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newspaper headlines.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Newspaper headlines.

I normally scan through the newspaper headlines.....

This morning headlines in the Star.......Our tv broke at 8.99 pm....did we miss anything.

Hard to believe anyone would actually buy that newspaper but thought that headline was a classic...

We are born into history and history is born into us.
22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Re: Newspaper headlines.

8.99 - do they mean 9.39, or is it typical of the carp that passes for journalism today?Huh

I'm so glad I don't bother with 'The news' these days.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

What's a newspaper? 😀

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman   think.... Fish and Chips.... or   Bum Fodder ... whichever you prefer !  Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Those were the days!

"Have you finished eating your fish and chips yet"

"Why?"

"You really don't want to know"  😝

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@jab1 wrote:

8.99 - do they mean 9.39, or is it typical of the carp that passes for journalism today?Huh

There was an article in a newspaper once that said the temperature had risen by 5C (41F); whilst 5C=41F, a rise of 5C is only a rise of 9F, something that the 'journalist's research' had failed to fathom.  I'm therefore not surprised that the 100-minute clock may have replaced the 24-hour clock in some newsrooms.  We have probably all at some times thought that there weren't enough hours in the day but most of us are quite happy with the number of minutes in the hour.  Not even the EU has decimal hours (yet).

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

The best headline has to be when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic in 2000 -

Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071875-20-hilarious-world-football-headlines

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@shutter wrote:

@Minivanman   think.... Fish and Chips.... or   Bum Fodder ... whichever you prefer !  Cheesy

Although chips had different taste, i've often wondered if the ink had any chemicals that could cause long term health effects.

But these days they use polystyrene boxes or other "white" paper - both of which have been chemically processed. Can't win.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

If print ink is toxic I'd imagine it would be almost zero, but I'd not drink it neat that's for sure!

Mind you, hat makes used to get lead poisoning (mad as a hatter) and printers used to wear square ones so....  🤔

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I thought hatters were affected by mercury used in the hatmaking process?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Didn't they always say that if you needed a clean hygienic surface, when none was available, for say giving birth on (they always give that example) then unused newspapers are perfectly acceptable.

Of course the downside to that is the babies bum will have "The Sun" or "Tony Blair" or something equally obnoxious printed all across it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Ah yes, I think you are right. 👍

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Ok it’s the daily Mail but they claim we would have to reduce our homes by 10c if we are to meet the governments targets of zero emissions.

I know someone who will not be reducing it by one degree and I guess there are plenty of others who are the same.

Just a silly idea like those energy meters.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@gleneagles wrote: Just a silly idea like those energy meters.

I use to think so but now not so sure. The shop has a smart meter. Not that long back I was doing some work in it on a Sunday and glanced at the display that showed the current cost of electricity. It was 0.01P per unit, which is darn cheap in my books.

As for reducing the main heating by 10C, Easy peasy! Just go fly the Microsoft Flight Sim and feel the hot thermals wafting up from the computer. I'll soon be using it as a toaster or even a hot air balloon launch pad.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah well two dates I am not looking forward to (yes I know this sounds really exciting to everyone).

I am supposed to be getting 'smart' meters installed on the 10th May. Don't even remember agreeing to it, but there we are. I must have done. So I have to wait all morning for someone to change my two meters round .. for nothing. Ooohhhh I get more accurate meter readings as they have a mobile SIM in them. So the PC Brigade can tell me off like I am a Sun reader on how to 'save energy'. I'll get a mobile energy display, which is just another thing I will just ignore and worry about losing.

The 3rd of June I am more worried about, as that is my second injection. At the end of the day my life is more important than saving energy and the planet, as that is rather irrelevant if I am no longer here.

So if I am still moaning on here the 3rd June afternoon and later on, it hasn't finished me off. 😑