cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newspaper Deliveries.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Newspaper Deliveries.

When we were working we never found the time to bother with a morning paper but since retiring some years ago we now get one.
For the past year the delivery has been awful, some days we don't get a paper or get the wrong paper, on taking this up with the shop owner he said it was difficult to find anyone to do the job, if he says anything about them delivering the wrong paper or no paper at all they just say, " What's £20 ? it's just a phone top up"
When I delivered papers as a young lad I think I got a lot less than (an old) Pound and was glad of the job as it paid toward my First Push Bike £23, which I got on HP.
How times have changed !!
15 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Re: Newspaper Deliveries.

I used to do a paper round, 5.5 miles and it was 9 papers to be delivered.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I have my papers delivered every day.  The service is excellent.  A schoolboy delivers during the week and a woman at weekends.  If there is a problem due to late arrival of papers at the newsagents or the delivery person is ill then the owner delivers. If the owner delivers I sometimes don't get my paper until around 9am, otherwise it's around 7.30am.
Fixes: 123

My mum gets her paper delivered everyday and I think it must be by the owner as it is delivered by car.
Only rarely had any issues and always been sorted quite promptly.
A sign of the times that so many young people appear to lack respect but I feel many of the older generation must take a lot of the blame in not instilling it in them in the first place Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shalom2010
Grafter

I get my morning paper very early & free via an RSS feed Smiley
Community Veteran

It's getting harder to get a newspaper on line for free.  News UK has announced all its titles will be charged for in future.  They have charged for the Sunday Times and Times for some time but amongst other titles they intend charging for the Sun.
shalom2010
Grafter

True, but the BBC remains free plus there's always world newspapers. (http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/)

Thanks for that link. Some papers that may be of interest to SWMBO Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

shalom2010
Grafter

You threw me there - SWMBO is "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - had to do a Google search!!

Oh, most definitely Wink Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
they intend charging for the Sun.

Noooooo!
Mind you, the current content on it is usually a couple of days behind the printed version anyway. If Yahoo news goes the same way I'm done for lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm lucky that the newsagents is only a minute's walk away!
I buy mine direct & upfront and pay the shop with vouchers. Save a fortune that way!
I could read the online version but I prefer to have the paper version!
Geoff,
York.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

It surprises me people are still prepared to pay for newspapers (printed or digital) given the calibre of the journalism contained within.

That is one of the reasons I stopped buying any printed versions. I would stop reading them online if I had to pay as I'm sure the news would always be freely (well, not quite, I do pay for a licence) available on bbc.co.uk.

Community Veteran

Well, it's a good job some of us do pay!
There'd be nothing to read if we all had that attitude!
Geoff,
York.