cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News report specially for Adam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

News report specially for Adam

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7971749/Christians-could-learn-a-lot-about-life-...
Christians could learn a lot about life from listening to heavy metal, according to a Church of England cleric.
The Rev Rachel Mann claims that the much-maligned form of music demonstrates the “liberative theology of darkness”, allowing its tattooed and pierced fans to be more “relaxed and fun” by acknowledging the worst in human nature.
She says that by contrast, churchgoers can appear too sincere and take themselves too seriously.
<snip>
Miss Mann says that heavy metal songs, characterized by distorted guitar sounds, “intense” beats and “muscular” vocals, are “unafraid to deal with death, violence and destruction”.
Its “predominantly male and white” fans “generally like tattoos and piercings” but are “graceful, welcoming and gentle”.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: News report specially for Adam

them kreshens is desprit fer trade.
N/A

churchgoers can appear too sincere and take themselves too seriously

Well, she's got a point. However, the thought of listening to such a cacophony would definitely not persuade me to attend church - on the contrary, it would put me off!
Steve
Pro

If our church was like this link I would probably go all the time Smiley 
-M
Community Veteran

churchgoers can appear too sincere and take themselves too seriously

Maybe in her church, but not mine, and not a lot of other churches I've been to.  Crazy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Very interesting commentary there,
It sounds like Miss Mann is actually quite well in touch with what metallers are usually like and you'll find in the majority of cases that personality and appearance don't always match up. For a lot of people heavy music is a form of release and the vast majority of metal-heads I know are the friendliest people I know (I'd like to add not the only people I know either).

PS it may interest some that I am aware of the existence of some Christian metal bands, be warned though as there is a raft of anti-christian metal bands too as you might imagine (avoid Deicide and Vital Remains if you are easily offended!)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

What a cool thread!
If you think about most of the lyrics from Iron Maiden - probably the most biblical band ever, the biblical good / evil is used in most metal bands, Rob Zombie through to Cradle of Filth although both vary inside the metal genre - it's only newer symphonic metal bands like Nightwish, Delain etc. that have wained away and sing about what ever makes a good song! Smiley How many Maiden fans can easily reel off a passage from the book of Revelations (number of the beast, or is that the number of BT?)  Undecided Shocked
Really, really good metal bands are now a dying breed, glad you're keeping it alive Adam! Smiley
Think the best Christian rock band had to have been Stryper, but to listen to them now, they sound very dated!
Always used to say 10 years or so ago, if Rock City Nottm, or the Corperation Sheffield (is that place still going?), could have been a church in their own right, for rock fans anyway  Wink Very friendly people, very friendly places to go to! Loved every second, and still love the memories!  Smiley
magnetism2772
Grafter

the acoustics of the church are finer  listening to a hymn  than in the  royal albert hall
rising  voices bouncing off wall to wall 
Hark the Herald Angels sing
Glory to the new born King
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconcile
Joyful all ye nations rise
Join the triumphs of the skies
With angelic hosts proclaim
Christ is born in Bethlehem
TicnTac
Grafter

Smiley
There was a good article in S.O.S. a while back in regards to acoustics in churches and PA. Nothing about metal bands though  Roll eyes
thisoldman
Grafter

If i were to be honest , really honest, and post in this salubrious forum my comments/views on metal bands, Be3G would have a cardiac arrest
and the  self appointed custodians of forum morality would turn in their graves.
One further point, before I clear my bowels, concerns  female vicars/priests.
Kindly tell me, where in the bible were priests legitimized?  I suspect Cheesy  female vicars or whatever they try to call themselves has something to do with Mand .
scootie
Grafter

Miss Mann says that heavy metal songs, characterized by distorted guitar sounds, “intense” beats and “muscular” vocals, are “unafraid to deal with death, violence and destruction”.
cough*
hum in my view of history most war's have been about religion, so the church of england should be use to and able to deal with death,violence and destruction pretty well by now
thisoldman
Grafter

my dearest asbo dog Cheesy              why do you insult yourself by adding the word dog to your name  asbo is bad enough  have you no self respect?

Anyway for your info the c o e couldnt change a nappy neve rmind deal with heavy metal freaks.
If you want to find out more about the fates of metal freaks  please arrange a visit to broadmoor ward 22
scootie
Grafter

i add dog as i train them in my spare time, al upload a video of my lab showing his stuff off soon
N/A

Asbo - do please post the videos (starting a new thread of course). I would be very interested in seeing them, as would my friends who own and have bred Labrador Retrievers for many years.
thisoldman
Grafter

Poppy dear  can you tell me please what you make/think of female vicars/priests?