Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

News - Whitehall plans to share your private data

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Telegraph"]
Revealed: Whitehall plans to share your private data
Driving licences, criminal records and energy use data could be shared under radical plans to link government databases

Details of the financial history, qualifications and property wealth of millions of Britons could be shared across Whitehall for the first time without their consent, the Telegraph can reveal.
Information including voters’ driving licences, criminal records, energy use and even whether they use a bus pass could be shared under a radical blueprint to link up thousands of state databases used by schools, councils, police and civil servants.
The proposals are likely to ignite privacy concerns if officials are granted unprecedented access to citizens’ private data.
It will also trigger fears that data could be lost, in the wake of a notorious error in 2007 that saw CDs carrying the child benefit records of 25 million people go missing in the post.
Ministers believe the ability to aggregate and “mine” citizens’ data under a new legal framework will allow them to better monitor economic growth and population movements, identify troubled families and elderly people in need of support, and cut fraud.
Read More Here

This is wrong in so many ways.  Angry
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: News - Whitehall plans to share your private data

DVLA and the Passport Office already share photographs!
This could be so beneficial but governments and IT databases just don't mix! There's too many ill-informed people having input at the design stage and, access afterwards.
Geoff,
York.
WTF
Grafter

Welcome to the brave new Tory world!
.. I seem to be making this exact same comment every other day  Roll eyes
How is the Tories have so much support when the practically everybody - including people who support parties that are even more extreme than the Tories (I'm thinking of you, UKIP) - appear to be shocked by virtually everything they do?  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It doesn't bother me - except it just shows the appalling ignorance of certain/most politicians in relation to IT
Given the Government (all of them) record on big IT projects this will either be a catastrophic failure or by the time it is functioning I will be long dead
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Midnight
It will also trigger fears that data could be lost, in the wake of a notorious error in 2007 that saw CDs carrying the child benefit records of 25 million people go missing in the post.

Nice - we should just cut out the middle man and sell our own data on Ebay to the highest bidder.
At least then we'd get something out of it.
Community Veteran

First get the NHS IT working before inviting new problems.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

why worry about it local councils have had this ability for years thanks to labour mine knows my income changes before I do and I normally receive a revised housing benefit statement a day or two before I find out what income change triggered it ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: nanotm
why worry about it
And it's that mindset that will keep them doing it which wont do the new generations to come any good. I think the new ' world  order / domination ' is making steady progress. Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: AlaricAdair
First get the NHS IT working before inviting new problems.
That's what I call a good definition of impossible
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
why worry about it
And it's that mindset that will keep them doing it which wont do the new generations to come any good. I think the new ' world  order / domination ' is making steady progress. Undecided

+1
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Here's the deal:
Article is posted/printed about new proposed law/policy/etc.
People moan.
Law gets passed.
People comply and further limited/suppressed life goes on.
Another article is posted/printed about another new proposed law/policy/etc.
People moan some more.
Law gets passed.
People comply again and even further limited/suppressed life goes on.
I could (as I have before) propose revolution as the only answer (well, true and lasting revolution is), but I also know that humans at large are so blind to the bars of their own prison (but also so afraid) that such a thing would ultimately be pointless. We've had revolution, of sorts. The French had revolution. So many other nations have had revolution, but things come back always to the same old master/slave scenario ... precisely because humans at large are so blind to the bars of their own prison (and also so afraid). I often wonder to myself just how far it will go. How far can you push a people into their subjection before they would truly rebel (of their own accord, without the 'permission' as afforded by outside help). Perversely, I also sometimes want to see just how far it will go, to the whole of humanity utterly subjected to the fullest weight of the heaviest boot pressing down upon them, just to see how they react (or not).
All that said, some of us also simply do not care. In any event, I do so hate to use memes, but an old one is so appropriate. From the perspective of TPTB:
All your base are belong to us.
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
Welcome to the brave new Tory world!

Remember Labour and their National ID Cards...?  There always comes a time in a government life cycle where they think they rule us rather than representing us.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My thoughts too!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: M
why worry about it

+1
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

+2
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
There always comes a time in a government life cycle where they think they rule us rather than representing us

To be fair, the current lot were mostly at places like Eton or St Paul's so they've ALWAYS though they rule us .. even before they were in politics
To be even fairer .. they pretty much have