[News Story] - Search and Rescue helicopter bid put on hold

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[News Story] - Search and Rescue helicopter bid put on hold

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Search and rescue helicopter bid process is halted"]
Plans to privatise the search and rescue helicopter service have been suspended amid concerns about the bidding process to find a supplier.
It comes after the preferred supplier, Soteria, admitted it had access to commercially sensitive information.
The Department for Transport and Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the preferred supplier would not be used.
Brian Donohoe, the Labour MP whose constituency includes HMS Gannet, said there was a lot of anxiety locally.
HMS Gannet is a helicopter search-and-rescue station base at Prestwick.
Mr Donohoe said: "My main concern is that the service itself will suffer as a consequence of this continuing delaying of the process.
"I understand it is highly probable that there will be a proposal to have the Sea King, the present kit, upgraded in order that the service will be able to be maintained.

and
[quote="Plans to privatise UK search and rescue suspended"]

Campaigners have welcomed the government's decision to suspend plans to privatise the search and rescue service (SAR) around the UK.
The plans included ending round-the-clock rescue cover at Chivenor in north Devon as well as at a number of other bases.
The privatisation process was halted after "irregularities" emerged in the bidding process.
There were fears that reducing cover at Chivenor could put lives at risk.
Campaigner Bob Thompson, who is opposed to halving cover at Chivenor to 12 hours a day, said: "We are absolutely delighted with the news.

That is good news.
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: [News Story] - Search and Rescue helicopter bid put on hold

from one report I read it was the management of Soteria who alerted the MOD that someone in their contracts department had insider knowledge they should have had, the BBC news items seem to have changed 2 hours ago
pierre_pierre
Grafter

found the article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12389512
In a statement to Parliament regarding the £6bn procurement programme, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said: "In mid December, the Preferred Bidder in the SAR-H competition, Soteria, had come forward to inform the government of irregularities regarding the conduct of their bid team which had only then recently come to light.
"The irregularities included access by one of the consortium members, CHC Helicopter, to commercially sensitive information regarding the joint MOD/DfT project team's evaluations of industry bids and evidence that a former member of that project team had assisted the consortium in its bid preparation, contrary to explicit assurances given to the project team."
Mr Hammond said that, since December, his department and the MoD had been "working with Soteria to better understand the situation and its implications for the procurement process".
"In addition, the Ministry of Defence Police are investigating how the commercially sensitive information came to be in the possession of the bidder," he said.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Privatise S&R?  Shocked
How they gonna make profit out of that then? - Thw Winchman pulls out a mobile chip n pin terminal before hooking you up?  Huh
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just make sure you always have your credit card, and your mobile phone with you......
mobile phone to call 999 ...... credit card , for when the winchman calls !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I suppose they could also have a snack vending machine on board too... and advertising... "You owe your life to <company name here>" lol
nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I'm really anti S&R being privatised.
Much prefer to see the RAF, Navy & Coastguard continue to provide this life saving service.
Obviously the Sea Kings need updating and the Augusta used by Coastguards looks quite a slick machine.
Community Veteran

a horror story on another forum told of the fire service in some town in usa who refused to put out a fire in a burning house because the resident had not paid a $75 surcharge, over and above local taxes levied.
in desperation the man offered to pay, to no avail as he watched his house, with pets inside, burn to the ground.  that is privatisation.
Community Veteran

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8039814/Tennessee-Firemen-ignore-burning-...
http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/burn-baby-burn/27529
I wonder what would happen if a local airport forgot to pay, and a Jumbo made an emergency crash landing on the airfield?  The more I think, the more what if's I can think of.
Community Veteran

Privatisation is not a good idea for the emergency services.
We've seen what its done to other industries like the railways... I can't believe (well I can) that the government could even consider this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Back to the good old days when we had a plaque on the house to say we are covered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_insurance_marks
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
a horror story on another forum told of the fire service in some town in usa who refused to put out a fire in a burning house because the resident had not paid a $75 surcharge, over and above local taxes levied.
in desperation the man offered to pay, to no avail as he watched his house, with pets inside, burn to the ground.  that is privatisation.

Where was that in the US artificer?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on my mobile at the moment but the newspaper link gave the location
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Where was that in the US artificer?

Quote from: fourfourdevon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8039814/Tennessee-Firemen-ignore-burning-house-over-unpaid-subscription-fee.html
http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/burn-baby-burn/27529

Community Veteran

Happened in South Fulton, Tennessee.