[News Story] - Google removes rogue Android apps

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[News Story] - Google removes rogue Android apps

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Google removes rogue Android apps"]
Google has used a "kill switch" to clean up phones hit by rogue Android applications.
Almost 60 malware-infected programs were found on the Android Market on 1 March and estimates suggest they may have been downloaded by 200,000 users.
The malicious apps hid data-stealing code inside games, utilities and other programs.
The "kill switch" allows Google to remotely uninstall software from handsets running its operating system.
58 malicious applications were removed from the Android Market by Google soon after it was alerted to their presence.
It suspended the accounts of the developers who apparently uploaded the apps, and also contacted the police.

This is why I will not have a Android Phone, or a iPhone.
I would not have a Android Phone, or a iPhone Free.
4 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: [News Story] - Google removes rogue Android apps

Quote from: Midnight
This is why I will not have a Android Phone, or a iPhone.
I would not have a Android Phone, or a iPhone Free.

But you have and use a PC, where's the logic  Huh
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes I do use a PC but it is locked down with up to date Security Software on it, wen I go to a web site with my web browser it is in a sand box, so if any infected ActiveX tries to run on my computer it only gets to run in the sand box, plus as I sed my computer is locked down with:

• AVG Anti-Virus

• Firewall Zone Alarm

• Sandboxed

You can not locked down Android Phone or a iPhone, why I here you cry, simpul Android Phone's report back to Google, and iPhone's report back to Apple, both of them know where you are and where you have been, aka Google and Apple.
You can disable GPS but that will not stop Google or Apple from knowing where you are or where you have been, plus Google and Apple can put GPS tracking in to silent mode, so you would not know that the GPS had been switched back on by them.
The OS on the Android Phone and iPhone is know where near as secure as your OS on your computer, if you have your computer locked down.
My mobile is a BlackBerry, BlackBerry's are locked down from the word go, plus I have GPS disabled, and I do not download apps.
Community Veteran

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/343638/your_blackberry_dirty_little_security_secret/

Think you're onto a hiding to nothing there if you think Blackberries are inherently more secure than other smartphones tbh.  All phones have published vulnerabilities - it's just that shiny fondleslabs seem to attract a certain type of idiot who just wants to fill their phone with ridiculous apps.
B.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
You can disable GPS but that will not stop Google or Apple from knowing where you are or where you have been, plus Google and Apple can put GPS tracking in to silent mode, so you would not know that the GPS had been switched back on by them.

Sorry but neither Google or Apple know where you are they only know where the handset is.  Wink Unlike your mobile provider which will know where you are as they will have you details.