Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[News Storie] - Two children have been searched by police under terrorism

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[News Storie] - Two children have been searched by police under terrorism

Hi All
Two children have been 'searched by police' under terrorism legislation, this is nuts.
[quote="Two children 'searched by police'"]
An inquiry has been launched after two children were allegedly stopped and searched by police under "terrorism legislation" in south London.
Two officers carried out a stop and search on a man, 43, his daughter, 11, and another child, six, near Woolwich Arsenal station, the man said.
The officers also took his mobile phones, USB stick and a CD, he added.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating the "worrying" allegation.
93 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: [News Storie] - Two children have been searched by police under terrorism

Quote from: Midnight
... this is nuts.

Why? A child could be used to hide explosives, etc just as easily as an adult.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That is just paranoyer.
James
Grafter

Doubt you'd say that if they blew up your house.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

We don't live in the middle east, your been paranoid!
David_W
Rising Star

I remember when all you had to worry about from kids was if they would play football in the street, these days they use them new fangled USB thingies to blow up buildings and terrorise people with that arcane stuff they call "music" from their MPTHREE players and whatnot!  Ahem Shocked
Whilst it is true we do not live in the middle east, that does not preclude us from being under attack from people who want to strap explosives to themselves.  Stopping and searching kids out with a parent though is a bit of over-kill, especially using anti-terror rules.  At this rate the complaints will get so high the government will have no choice but to amend or revoke the law to stop the police abusing the power, this is why police officers shouldn't get spangly new toys.
James
Grafter

Or perhaps I am, sadly, a realist.
Whereas you my friend, may need to take off those rose tinted glasses Wink
Community Veteran

I will let you explain that to all the relatives of people killed or people who have suffered lost through terrorist activities in this country.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That was not done by children.  Your been paranoid!
Euge
Grafter

At some point in time the very idea of a bomb strapped to someone was unimaginable.
Community Veteran

That was not done by children.  Your been paranoid!

I never said it was done by children but around the world children have been used in the 'political struggle'. In this country children commit crimes, some even knowingly. I am not paranoid but neither will I assume that someone activity suspicious should be ignored just because they are a child. Nor will I assume in this particular case that the search was unjustified just because a child was involved. I don't agree with the misuse of powers but neither to I agree with the sensationalist media either. I prefer my news based on facts not speculation.
Bojangles
Grafter

Children have already been used as bombers. What worries me is how a police officer can gather suspicion of terrorist acts just by looking at someone.
I'm guessing you can't refuse a stop search if its related to terrorism.
David_W
Rising Star

You can sort of stop a stop and search, some guy from the Guardian or something got stopped, twice, so he made a card which you can print out.  Basically it says to the copper "if you waste my time, I'll waste yours", lemme see if I can find it... Found it!
PDF Warning
scootie
Grafter

police do go about things the wrong way sometimes but you have to remember there trying to find needles in a hay stack and when they have one go under the radar it has a big impact in death tolls an all the impact that comes from such an attack.
its a sad fact but the new wave of terrisot are suicide terrisots and for people in these state of minds using kids is not unnormal to them.
so do the police officers that had enough surrspion to stop an search stick to the old values/ way of life where kids carrying terrsiots goods for them being plans. dentornator switchs ect anything the older man may of hidden on them thinking it wouldnt be found not be subjected to a quick search due to old way of looking at life.
in my view if there was good enough surrspion then what harm has that stop and search done in the long run. where if they hadnt bein searched and had bein carrying parts of a bomb for the older man ect then we all know the lasting harm that could of come form the officers decision not to search them
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Having just past through airport security and had to remove my trouser belt, thought it was to do with the metal in the belt confusing the scanner, ask a "friendly" no, you would be surprised what people hide inside belts, we have to deep xray them.  So dont be surprised what people will hide on children whilst in transit