cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NewTV or not ??

MightyMouse
Grafter

NewTV or not ??

I’ve had my Tv for a number of years now at least 12 maybe 14( I’ve lost count as I’ve thrown my receipt)
I keep saying I won’t change it until it goes wrong ( never gone wrong( Panasonic) )
But, I’m wondering is it about time I brought myself up too date ?.
Being an OAP(67) I’m not into  all these new things  like internet abled ? especially as I have a computer.
I just want a basic Tv with Freeview.

LCD (Liquid clear crystal ?)  or LED ( Light emitting diode ? ) is one any better than the other ?
Special leads supposed to give a better reception  ?

Any suggestions gratefully received .

Thanking you in advance.
57 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: NewTV or not ??

Our Panasonic went wrong when we moved house. I was sceptical about the internet ready TV but we've used it a lot. The one we bought is a Panasonic Vierra on which we can watch iPlayer - it's so much better than watching on the PC!
It also gave us all the extra live channels the BBC had running during the Olympics and which are still there for other events.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I can thoroughly recommend the: Samsung UE32EH5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012) Currently on sale at Amazon £269.35. It comes in smaller and larger screen sizes at prices accordingly.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Same as you (OAP 67 ish ! ).... we just watch telly on our telly !... so we got ours from TESCO.... The box has some blonde bird on it, looking like she is about to jump on you... we thought that having a big screen ( over  30 inch) would be overpowering for our room so just got the "normal 24 inch"... to sit on the mantle shelf....
It would probably be worth investing in a new tv aerial and downlead(s)... ( ours cost £130, I think ) (including a aerial booster on the aerial)...... especially as yours is probably well past it`s "best by" date ! ! ...
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks for your quick replies
I had a new ariel erected  by a friend ( abot 18 months ago) that I have known for years who now does ariels because my reception wasn't very good .
He said part of the problem was the trees and needed the arial to go above them .
He erected the arial on top of a 20ft pole , plus he renewed the cable(hd?) right the way through from the ariel right into my sitting room.
plus he fitted a new updated socket  for £160. I thought that was very reasonable considering the 20 ft pole.
Iam now getting an excellent picture.
£270.00 for a new 32" seems very cheap . I paid more than that for my 22"  12- 14 years  ago .
I was was thinking of getting a 26-27"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Get a bigger one, 32" would be good. Thing to remember is, that as it is LCD/LED it will be much thinner and sit further back so not be as imposing as a 32" CRT television. Also the viewable angle is much greater, which is another reason to get one.
I felt like crying when I got rid off my old 28" Bush CRT unit. A faithful, reliable friend....but now I don't regret a thing.
Another thing to take into consideration is the number of scart sockets. I know they are 'old hat' but I expect that ,like me, you have a Hard drive recorder, video player too. And these scart 'splitters' or multi sockets are not great. Often with a bit of 'noise' when you use one. So aim for one socket per unit if possible.
hadden
Grafter

We got a new telly a couple of  weeks ago and the biggest hassle is that there are so many features to think about, but I did want to do more than just watch telly.
When I got a TV for my parents a couple of years ago, I remember looking up advice for optimum screen size and concluded that a 40 inch TV was good for a 10 feet watching distance. I then fixed the new TV on the wall opposite their comfy seats, with the bottom of the TV at about eye level (when sitting). That size has worked out well.
Infinity
Pro

32" is a good compromise size, though the one in the main bedroom is a touch overpowering.
Make sure it's HD Ready or compatible with HDMI sockets, for HD from a SKY+HD Box, Freeview HD recorder, or any future tech.
Check on the type & number of inputs for external sources, ie SKY box, Freeview box, VHS, DVD player, PC etc
My main one is a couple of years old, and has 3 HDMI, 3 SCART, 2 AV, plus other inputs, and just about fulfils my needs.
Many newer models I have specced seem to provide fewer inputs these days.
So take into account what you may also plug into your TV, apart from the Aerial lead.

The modern Freeview ones are much thinner, and so much lighter and easier to hold / lift, than the older CRT ones, if you want to adjust or move position of the TV.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Am I correct in assuming that thay are now easy enough to set up yourself these days, rather than having someone out to install it for you ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Yes very easy. The menu's tend to be intuitive. If you can operate a computer, basic functions, you can set up a TV. Go for it. Smiley
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: MightyMouse
Am I correct in assuming that thay are now easy enough to set up youself these days, rathe than having someone out to install it for you ?

Normally, when you switch on for the first time, after plugging in the aerial lead, you are taken through a set of installation menus, most of which is automatic.
The main "extra" thing you can do, is to bypass channels you would never watch, so when you channel up / down, you don't have to go through every channel available.
And they all come with a built in electronic programme guide (EPG) so you can see / choose what's on now / next
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Dead easy - they are plug and play - it just works if all you want is TV
One thing I did was to cut out a piece of card the size of the new TV and propped it in the corner of the room in order to decide on the maximum size we would get.
Note - make sure you get one with a Freeview HD tuner (I think most of them do but some of the smaller ones may not)
Infinity
Pro

Depending on where you live, and whether you are near a Main Transmitter, or a local relay transmitter, will determine how many Freeview channels you can receive.
You will get all the normal terrestrial ones ( 1-5 ) anyway, I suggest you do a Google search for Freeview, you can type in your postcode and see just which channels you should be able to receive.,
Many, many more channels than the old RF Analogue system & TV's
MightyMouse
Grafter

With the freeview topbox that I have, I believe the last time I re-tuned it, it said that I had 114 channels including radio channels.
Believe it or not, I have not updated from a video recorder yet so will also be going for a DVD as well .
I had thought of having a Tv with DVD combined .
But having remembered  some years ago when I bought  a phone/fax/ answerphone combined , when it went wrong it meant the lot went wrong .
So, I think I will buy the DVD separetely.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The "cheapo" TESCO tv we got has a DVD player in it !... ( slot in the side) plus a miriad of phono type (red yellow blue white black) sockets.... usb and scart