Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New, used, or refurbished?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

New, used, or refurbished?

Looking to buy a bit of tech equipment probably via Amazon and on this particular item the prices have a £20 difference so is it worth it or not on a bit of kit costing £50 tops or £30 bottom.

My gut tells me to go new, but I'm not sure.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
54 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: New, used, or refurbished?

Personally I would go with refurb, mostly they are exactly the same as new, with the same warranty etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Agree with @HairyMcbiker.

I have had a couple of refurbished items, a printer and camera purchased years ago that gave me good service, the only difference is that they came in a white box rather than the original one but not a problem unless you intend to sell them on.

I suspect many refurbished items are really new items but stock they want to get rid of, by using the word refurbished they are not undercutting shops that sell the same goods as new, hence the white box.

Any problems you can return it within a month, if it conks out after a month but they are still selling it buy another one then send the old one back saying it's faulty, which of course it is.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

depends entirely on what the item is really.
there are certain items you wouldn't want to buy refurb or used, no matter how much cheaper they were.
Community Veteran

Climbing rope?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

chenks76 wrote:
there are certain items you wouldn't want to buy refurb or used, ...

NappiesCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Toilet rolls. Shocked

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Fixes: 125

Used toilet tolls, nooooooo. But aren't most now made from recycled paper - that's kind of refurbished?

Reminds me of when people ask if you have a spare tissue they can borrow. Nope, they can keep it after use!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

well, HDDs for one.
i wouldn't be buying a used or refurb HDD.

in fact, thinking about it, i doubt i'd buy any used or refurb tech.
i'd rather pay more to be assured that it's a new item with a warranty.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've not long got a refurb iphone 6 for about £150 less than I'd have got it now.  I only got it because I need to do some testing for work using an iPhone.  It came looking like new, with a 1 year warranty and so far I've not had any issues with it what so ever. 

Champnet
Rising Star

A Wife Huh

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mav wrote:

Used toilet tolls, nooooooo. But aren't most now made from recycled paper - that's kind of refurbished?

Reminds me of when people ask if you have a spare tissue they can borrow. Nope, they can keep it after use!

Agreed! 'Snot a good idea!Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Oh I don't know. They could always knock the hard bits off first. Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Hero

This topic has really gone down the pan! Cheesy

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've purchased from Amazon refurbished: iPad, Samsung DVD player, Samsung BluRay player, Blaupunct TV (for the bedroom) and they've been excellent quality. The only real downside is that they are usually last years model (the iPad was a couple of models back) but if you can live with not being bang up to date go refurbished.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.