cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New type of speed camera

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

New type of speed camera

Bournemouth Echo Is this a first in the country or are other areas already doing it
Apparently it is using sensors in the road to check the speed
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New type of speed camera

Looks like another money making scam as far as I can see.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Fixes: 102

So no sensors in the ground, just dual purpose.
Wondered why more traffic light camera's had been springing up Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I got the sensor information from here http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4460112.Poole__most_car_friendly_town_in_Brtitain_/ ; and this comment
AKKA, Poole says...
11:09am Fri 26 Jun 09
On Holes Bay road they have the red light cameras, near Asda, which catch you if you go through the red light, but now they have sensors in the road to catch you if you're going over 30mph even when the lights are green! they are the first ones to be fitted in the county. Be very careful when passing through them, they are active from 25th June.
Community Veteran

As far as I recall the technology to have cameras that were both red-light and general speed cameras has been in use for many years, it's just not universal though would presumably be introduced during any update.
I would expect, and have long assumed, that any red-light camera could well also be a speed camera.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The simple answer is not to exceed <b>30MPH</b> in a town.
When I <i>did</i> my advanced test this was hammered in, You OBEY the speed limit. I got told off once for reducing my speed approaching a 30mph limit, only using engine breaking, hence no warning to following motorists that I was slowing down  Cheesy
But what really gets my goat is people doing 55ish SLOWING DOWN for 60mph cameras Crazy
At one point we were following a person and he was all over the place speed wise, when he slowed for the camera we OVERTOOK him (straight piece of road and no oncoming traffic) my observer said it was correct afterwards, although a bit unorthodox Grin
BTW I we were on bikes at the time, hence plenty of acceleration  Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

They are the same sensors as used for the Red light trigger. Like HP
I would expect, and have long assumed, that any red-light camera could well also be a speed camera.
So if your speed through a red light it could be two endorsements  Shocked
Community Veteran

Since all a red light camera does is photograph a car when the light is on red it doesn't follow as a speed camera has to have a fully calibrated speed measurement system (expensive) and they wouldn't fit one of those automatically.
In the cameras referred to in the original post they were put in well before speed cameras were so ubiquitous,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

The hardware in the camera may need to be upgraded but it's more likely a firmware or software upgrade. It doesn't need (or have) fully calibrated speed measurement. The distance between the sensors is fixed and known. It's computer controlled (xtal controlled clock), so timimg is accurate. Distance/Time = Speed so in theory any red light camera can be readily converted  Huh
Community Veteran

I thought we were comparing it with the radar type which doesn't use two distance separated sensors - I agree if they put sensors in the road as I originally suggested that is correct
Community Veteran

Unless I am mistaken, there have been traffic light / speed cameras for sometime in Edinburgh, and one I notable one being at the Barnton junction at the end of the road into town from the Forth Bridge. I would guess they have been there for 5 to 8 years or more !.
It's not difficult technology.
Denzil
Grafter

I'm with biker995 on this one. If you think of speed cameras as stealth taxes, there is a very easy and legal way of not paying them Cool
I get equally frustrated by people who don't seem to know what the speed limits are. There are cameras on a stretch of the A30 near me, where the road is straight for about a mile but goes down and up a fairly steep dip. Sooo many people drive along at 60, then slow to 50 or less to go past the camera.
This is the kind of speed enforcement I like. Tongue
Euge
Grafter

There has been a red light/speed camera in norwich for about 2 maybe 3 years. They use the same lines in the road for distance comparison and are placed on the junction. I always assumed they just switched purpose with the changing of the lights. I've witnessed both roles in action a few times.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I recently attended a "Speed Awareness" course in lieu of a £60 fine and 3 points on my licence. Now you may phoo phoo this as a cheap way of avoiding points on your licence (it isn't, it cost £105)
I actually admit after 35+ years of largely trouble free driving to have learned something at this course. Of the I think 20 or so attendee's around 15 of us were caught speeding by cameras at 38mph in 30mph limits, almost all of us were caught within a mile or so of home, which must surely indicate a bit of "familiarity breeding contempt" going on here.
A surprising number including me were driving automatic cars at the time of the offence. All of us who were, had full manual licences and changed to automatic cars later in life. None of us had ever been "taught" to drive automatics. None of us really knew what that little button on the side of the gear selector marked "O/D off" actually did, a couple of the smaller (under 1400cc) auto's didn't have it.
For those of you who don't regularly drive automatic cars, mostly you just whack it in D (drive) and sit back and let the gearbox get on with it. It can be surprisingly difficult to maintain speeds below 30mph, as the gearbox always selects the highest possible gear for the conditions, which means even at little or no throttle the car naturally does 35ish mph, meaning a constant dabbing of the brakes to keep at or below 30mph.
That little "O/D off" button. in use is rather like changing down a gear in a manual car. You get far more speed control in the 20 to 30mph range, making it far easier to maintain speeds at or under 30mph. So guy's if you drive automatics, and you have the "O/D off" facility, use it. The other use of that button is to effectively add another lower gear, which will if needed enhance the acceleration from low speeds or standstill. 
As I said, I learned something on this course. I'm glad I attended it. And like everybody else on the course, the reason I agreed in the first place was to avoid the points on my licence.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.