Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New type of boiler

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New type of boiler

The Kingston
Kingston is a domestic boiler that heats your home and produces hot water the same as any conventional boiler.
The clever bit is it also produces electricity for you to use in your home or sell back to the grid. As electricity costs 3 to 4 times the cost of gas, Kingston can substantially reduce your energy bills.
Kingston looks and operates like a conventional boiler. It can be installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered boiler installer and is designed for a trouble free 15 year life.
Well that's the hype be interesting to see if it delivers the savings claimed.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New type of boiler

Have you had one installed?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

It only produces 1KW of electricity, so just enough to run a couple of PCs, but not enough to boil a kettle.
Community Veteran

What's the point of that?  it doesn't seem a good selling point Undecided
tinto
Grafter

I just Googled this, I presume you're talking about the  LPG powered mCPH model, which the site says won't be available until 2013, and that's the second problem.  The first is LPG, or rather the cost of it.  I just bought a 47Kg. refill tank for our static caravan this weekend, for £59.95.  That should last us for a year, but the 'van is used mainly at weekends and only between March and October. 
I couldn't find anything about the cost, but I'd reckon you won't see much change out of £2,500, plus installation and VAT, which doesn't seem to me an economical return for an estimated 15 year lifespan.  I'm comparing this against my existing mains gas fired warm air home/water heating. We've lived here since 1967, we're currently about 20 years into the life of our second such heating unit, and the Home Energy report from my power supplier, which I received just last week last week, claims we're using 55% less gas than similar homes (three bed mid terrace).  You'd be a mug to believe everything a utility company tells you, but  each year as well as using comparison websites, I compare our supplier against those of friends, neighbours, and family covering various house types and sizes, all using wet radiator systems, nobody I've spoken pays smaller utility bills than ourselves. and our annual servicing costs are also lower.
Scottish/British Gas will not install or service warm air heating systems, and the Scottish Government, which runs a scheme to replace/install central heating systems for OAPs and those on Disabled Living Allowance will replace every single type of of heating except warm air.  It is of course coincidental that their heating advisors are Scottish Gas, who also manage the replacement scheme on behalf of the Government.  My MSP, who is also the Minister responsible for environmental matters told me I was being cynical when I suggested Scottish Gas has a vested interest in encouraging people to use as much gas as possible, in the costliest available appliances.
To quote Miss Piggy
Cynical??
Moi ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

And I thought the 19kg bottles were expensive enough!
Interesting post there tinto, what sort of efficiency is that boiler then?
tinto
Grafter

A 19Kg. bottle would have cost me around £36, so a 47 Kg. bottle at just under £60 makes much more sense.  
My warm air heating doesn't have a boiler,  it has just a burner bar, and a fan to blow the heated air into ducting, with an adjustable vent to each room, and the heat is there right away and can be closed off just when you want.   With such a system you don't have to wait for a burner to heat water, which then heats metal radiators, which then heat the air.
The unit includes a separate small boiler with its own burner to heat water as and when required, and this is activated by opening any hot water tap in the house.
This is the heating system of choice in Canada and the American Mid and North West, where they experience much colder weather than we do, but as I said before Scottish/British Gas says it's inefficient.  I should point out that our home was designed to use this type of heating system, and installing the ducting in an existing house  might be impractical.
dick:quote
Fixes: 47

A house I visited for a few weeks in Canada had this kind of ducted heating and the owners were very happy with it.
The house also had a centralised vacuum cleaning system with tubes built into the walls and a vacuum pump and container in the garage.
Outlets were built into the walls at strategic locations throughout the house and you simply plugged a hose into one.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Developments in Australia using Ceramic Fuel Cells (BlueGen)  here's a youtube clip shows a lot of promise. I think they are selling these in Europe and UK.
Modified to show approx price - £26,000 eqivalent in Oz dollars.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

http://www.whispergen.com/main/stirlingtechnology/
were the first in the market with their stirling engine based technology!
But have been at it for at least ten years and not made the commercial breakthrough yet  Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The problem with Whispergens is apparently the "knuckle" universal joint shown in this clip.
http://www.whispergen.com/main/technology/
Apparently it ain't over-reliable!