cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to computers

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: New to computers

Oh, gosh, not sure how I would manage without my computer now.  When I was at work I saw the difference computers made, at home it made a great difference too.  I like being able to keep in contact with people by email, being able to find out things, order books etc,  post on Forums,  and as a local preacher being able to do my services on the computer and print them out.  If I had to write stuff down as my handwriting is dreadful I have problems reading it [never mind other people!].
Also, could be a downside or a form of relaxation  -  it causes waste of time by playing things like "Bejewelled" [which a certain friend supplied me with!] or scrabble!
Highlighted
Not applicable

Yes Be, you are correct - Mark does mention this in his video. However, I like Shutter's version of things but can't bring myself to do it - if my little circle of friends want assistance with their computers they always know where to come because I reliably turn up and if I can't help I usually know who/where to turn to.
I always think that I really earn my referral fee - CS never hear from my lot.
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just an update on things - must have done a good job because the gentleman signed up. He doesn't make his mind up very quickly but when I mentioned the January Option 1 offer it galvanised him into action - he loves a bargain but don't we all?
Now he's checking out printers and whatnot and is quite sanguine about the whole thing.
Fortunately will not be on call for this one as he lives miles away out in the sticks, although am expecting telephone calls.
I think that I may have to post back in another section of the forum to ask how to do that remote thingy.
Now the fun begins!
Highlighted
Grafter

I have some remote assistance instructooms poppy If you'd like my to PM you them?
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thank you very much - gladly accepted (it would be Vista Business Edition to XP Home).
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi Poppy
The one I have is for XP to XP but as the process is invoked by the person wanting help, Vista should prompt you with the appropriate screens anyway, appears I cant PM files but will post here shortly once have found it.
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi poppy and any other interested parties
Have attached a PDF containing remote assistance instructions, hope these are clear but if anything is unclear please give me a shout.
Highlighted
Grafter

Some good tips and advice being passed on here.
Just as a suggestion tho. I gleaned a lot of knowledge from PC magazines and books and actually getting down to the nitty gritty of installing my own upgrades, to the point that 3 years ago I decided to take the plunge and build my own PC. There's a lot of help out there and it needn't cost an arm and a leg. A mag from WHSmiths may cost you £3, but if it's got the answer to your problem it'll save you from a hefty repair bill.
Highlighted
Not applicable

Excellent techguy - downloaded and saved so thank you.
With regards to the magazines, I do agree - got loads of information from them, mainly Computeractive as it is aimed at people like me who are not all that technical and just want to be a competent user.
Trouble is, recalling that special article that you sometimes need can be a bit daunting.
Highlighted
Grafter

You are more than welcome, hope you aren't kept too busy.  Smiley