cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to computers

N/A

New to computers

Was summoned yesterday to visit a pal who had an elderly couple visiting her. They had been given a computer and wanted to know whether they should give it away. The question I was asked is: 'What difference will a computer make to my life?'.
Well, this took a lot of thinking about because they have a bit of a smallholding in the country, a fair few animals to keep and generally live active lives.
Anyway, nose sniffing (sensing another referral) I did my best. Gave them as much spiel as I could, demonstrated the Internet on my friend's computer (PN of course) and they are going to go away and think about it.
I recall feeling the same way nine years ago when I first got a computer but now don't know what I would do without it.
Got me thinking though - what would you do if you had no computer? Also, how would you have tackled the problem?
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: New to computers

If it wasn't for computers I wouldn't...
1) have my job
2) have moved to london
3) have met my now wife
and everything else that came after that.
I'd be asking if you want fries with that  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
techguy
Grafter

Can definitely agree with the first one adiewoo.
I'd get really annpyed if I was without my connection or PC.
N/A

The husband is one of the old type (apprentice-served) mechanics and told me that one of his mates saved £400 on a turbo repair on his vehicle just by scouring the Internet. This seemed to impress him as he likes to take care of the pennies (as we all do).
I pointed out that this saving would take care of the broadband subscription for at least the next year.
It wasn't much use telling what the computer meant to me because I love my little laptop and wouldn't know what to do without it .
Eventually I found out about their lifestyle and what their interests were and explained how these might be enhanced with the computer (also pointing out that there was evidence that computers were good for the little grey cells, especially for older people).
My friend has always given me earache about the computer, often threatening to chuck it out the window. She wouldn't give it up though and now that we have it reformatted with XP and she's on broadband my earache is difinitely abating! She was actually extolling the virtues of it although it clearly cost her a lot to admit it! 
It's given me a new respect for salespeople - couldn't do the job for all the tea in China!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have a friend who has a smallholding too..... the benefits of having a computer, and being on-line for her?  she can scour the feed suppliers for the cheapest feed for the animals, and birds. and also get them to deliver it to her storage space.... even packing it away inside the sheds !...
If they eventually do get "organised" they will also be able to buy and sell their "produce" as well as get their necessary 25kgs of whatever dropped off for very little effort themselves, and also saving the time and trouble of getting it. ! They can also join forums about smallholdings and similar activities, and get expert advice too.
Fixes: 47

If it wasn't for computers I'd still be welding (my trade) Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You would be in bed by now too !.... have you had your horlicks , yet , strat ?  Roll eyes
StickyMick
Grafter

Certainly a difficult one to answer. What did we do without computers 100 years ago?
I suppose the £400 saving on the repair bill is a good one, and Shutters example of shopping round for better deals on feed should swing it further. If they have relatives in far off lands, showing them the virtues of sending images via email will help it along too.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
have you had your horlicks , yet , strat ?  Roll eyes

Yes thanks Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Its down to knowledge is power which is what you get with a pc. All the knowledge on the internet and if you dont have it you are disadvantaged socially and educationally which is why they are trying to give every child a pc as ones without it will never be able to do as well they would have to walk to the library to get the info and that isnt open all day and night.
Computers have brought lots of problems like unemployment if you ran a car insurance company you used to have loads of staff now you get a web server and dont need most of the staff. The information about ourselves is now out of control were data is lost from Government departments etc. Face to face communication has dwindled to all most nothing in industry we used to talk to each other but many companies they send emails even if the person is 5 ft away.
It means the word is now smaller as I can talk to someone in any part of the world  as simply as talking to my neighbor
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria
It means the word is now smaller

That's what they probably can't work out until they've tried it. Roll eyes
N/A

I'm very taken with all of your comments, in particular shutter's (which I have passed on to my pal to relay).
I also got to thinking after adiewoo's that the little adiewoo's wouldn't have been here had it not been for the little black box so it's got a lot to answer for. 
Everything that has been said is well founded - computers are a good and bad thing but I know that I couldn't do without one (or rather wouldn't want to). For folk living out in the sticks I would imagine that it has become virtually essential.
Anyway, we'll have to see what they decide. If they go for broadband I am in for it good and proper - lots of support telephone calls probably.
That's the trouble with referrals - you get all the hassle while CS are having a cup of tea!
Community Veteran

That's the trouble with referrals - you get all the hassle while CS are having a cup of tea!

Just remind them that CS is only a telephone call away.... give them PlusNet number....  Wink
not yours !.....  Lips are sealed
and you can have the tea ! Tongue
techguy
Grafter

Or tell them you are charging £15 per hour.
Knew a couple of people who I'd only hear from when they wanted tech support so told them that and haven't heard from them 6+ years  Smiley
Community Veteran

FWIW, I do believe part of the reason Plusnet actually offer referral discounts (and in particular, the bigger 'bounty' payments they offer every now and then) is because they don't generally need to provide as much support to referrals... I know no-one was complaining about the support issue, but I just thought I'd mention that anyway.