cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tactics from the RBS group (RBS, Natwest)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

New tactics from the RBS group (RBS, Natwest)

My partner opened their online statement recently to find they've been charged £6 for an agreed overdraft - when she was just a couple of quid from the limit. Somewhat odd as the date it specified for the overdraft, she was in credit - by several hundred pounds.
So she rang the bank who said the same - it's a charge because you went overdrawn on the said date. Her answer was naturally "but i wasn't overdrawn" to which they then struggled to excuse.
Anyway eventually it turns out that for their free £100 overdraft, they've changed their rules and decided to charge £6 a month for it, conveniently doing so when you are in the red and near the limit.
So the next line from the bank is that they wrote to her to tell her this. Now I've heard this line from the RBS group myself many times and it's always when it's one of those 'important' letters. It never arrives yet everything else does so I knew there was something screwy going on here as I've had photocopies of letters sent to me in the past to 'prove' it. She registered a formal complaint and eventually they rang her back with an excuse for this letter not turning up: They now claim that they sent her an EMAIL  Roll eyes
Now emails are known for being a bit unreliable for delivery when they're from commercial companies, marked as spam and automatically filtered out by some mail providers etc so the RBS in their sneakiness have now taken to sending important stuff RANDOMLY by email safe in the knowledge that many customers won't get it. Everything else however (statements etc) still comes by post. My partner never signed up to have online correspondance from this bank so it seems odd that they would send an email with such important information by email.
Be warned! If you bank with any of the RBS organisations and have an overdraft facility, check your statements as they may now be charging you for using it without you knowing especially when you're near your OD limit!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: New tactics from the RBS group (RBS, Natwest, Direct Line, Churchill etc)

Under these circumstances I would simply write back and advise them I would be taking the matter up with the Ombudsman. Also ensure you get the name of the person you spoke to at the bank.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Agreed, contact the Ombudsman. And switch banks stating this as the reason why.
itsme
Grafter

Won't get far with the Ombudsman as the overdraft fees are standard across all banks and been in place for many years. The free arranged overdraft mean that there is no fee to setup but there are charges to use it. Normally the charges will not kick in until you go £10 overdrawn, then after that it's £6 per month plus interest
James
Grafter

I think Sprite is saying that they are being charged £6 a month for the pleasure of having an interest free £100 overdraft without notification of the increase in price (presumably from £0).
itsme
Grafter

They only accounts that offer interest free and no monthly overdraft charge are ones that have a monthly fee.
Community Veteran

Yes but my partner has a paid-for account which included a free OD without fees. Suddenly for the privilege of being a paid customer they've decided to start charging £6 per month for it!
adie:quote
itsme
Grafter

Did notice one of the RBS accounts listed here had a monthly fee and monthly overdraft charge.
Been caught out myself in the past and have had the charges refunded if they have been recent changes but the last time I did not but then again I did not make a fuss as the changes were several months old and I could remember a notification through the post which I did not read.
Community Veteran

New tactics from the RBS group (RBS, Natwest, Direct Line, Churchill etc)

I think you'll find RBS sold Direct Line (and Churchill).  Wink
Community Veteran

Thats a fair point actually HPSauce, I knew there was UK Insurance involved somewhere but I didn't realise the two said companies were no longer part of RBS.
I will amend the topic.
Community Veteran

Re: New tactics from the RBS group (RBS, Natwest)

from memory i think Direct Line was boiught back by the original owner, Peter Wood.