New slant on pig flue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

New slant on pig flue

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/10/swineflu_holiday_shock/
Pig flu promises holidays for all
Two weeks off for pig sick lazy swines
By John Oates • Get more from this author
The Department of Health is actively considering doubling the time people are allowed to sign themselves off sick as a response to swine flu - officially now a pandemic.
Currently you are allowed to sign yourself off sick for paltry seven days, but the DoH thinks this should be increased to a tasty two weeks. Given that many doctors are asking patients with suspected swine flu not to come into surgeries for fear of spreading the disease, this should allow the enterprising skiver to take most of the summer off sick.
Without a positive test for the flu, you could presumably take your two weeks, plus a possible extra five days for quarantine, before returning to work. And you still haven't been tested so a repeat performance is always a possibility.
The Department of Health said the move was "actively being considered", despite concerns from employers' groups that the change would create a blaggers charter for workshy Brits.
14 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: New slant on pig flue

Spotted a typo.
The Department of Health said the move was "actively being considered", despite concerns from employers' groups that the change would create a blaggers charter for worksty Brits.
Community Veteran

Grin Grin
N/A

I did think that it would be a good excuse to have a week or two off, especially if the weather is good.
A bit like my neighbour who had a full week off for a cold. No guesses who is employer is (it's not in the private sector). Excuse was that he didn't want to pass it on to his colleagues in the office.
However, he didn't seem to mind passing it on to his mates in the pub during his daily visits.   Huh
Community Veteran

Doctors surgeries around here have a notice outside that says if you have these symptoms ( then describes pig flue symptoms ) do NOT come into the surgery but phone NHS 24.
Community Veteran

14 people have now died in the UK and 335 are in hospital with SF and we are third in the world league for reported cases after Mexico and America.  Why are we so high?  Is it that we are just better at reporting it?  What does worry me is that the NHS don't seem to be well prepared and with the winter still to come this could be serious.
Community Veteran

I think you hit it on the nail Artmo - we are better at [accurate ] reporting.
Many people now seem to be saying this is no worse than one of our normal flu's.
And people who are dying have underlying other problems and as usual the flu is the last straw - and in many cases a kind one as it stops people suffering in pain from a lingering death.
Community Veteran

It has just been announced here in Essex that a patient has died and there were no underlying conditions. It was a man from Clacton.  This situation is becoming very worrying.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8036486.stm
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Fact is the reporting process is flawed and I don't believe any of it.
If people are not being examined by a doctor but phone in and say oh by the way I have pig flu. Who knows if they have it or not, they just might have a cold,or man flu or flu
The statistics are meaningless
If I get a cold or flu I go to bed and rest until it's gone, I don't call anyone and make a report for the statistics.
Why should this pig flu be more cause for concern than ordinary flu?
Community Veteran

I think the worry about this is it doesn't seem to be hitting us oldies (over 65) which is different to normal flu in winter.
At first glance they are worried it might get as bad as the 1999/2000 epidemic where the number of cases peaked at about 230 per 100,000. However we are a lomg way from that at the moment but are just about at the same level as the peak last winter of about 60 cases per 100,000
This is worth a read http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/ferguswalsh/
Community Veteran

You're right Jim. I remember reading weeks ago that Swine Flu didn't affect the 65+ group as much as is the case with normal flu. The more I look at this the more I wonder if the authorities have got it under control.  I wonder how many doses of Tamiflu we have in the country at present.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no body picked up that Artmos link was dated May, the correct link should be http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8145389.stm
Community Veteran

But listen on the link to what Virology expert Professor John Oxford, of Queen Mary's College of Medicine in London, said the death was to be expected and should not cause panic.
Community Veteran

Yes Mal that's what I thought was useful to hear. It is being said on BBC News as I type that this is not unexpected  and is still mild.