Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New shower, water pressure question?

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

New shower, water pressure question?

Plumbers Ahoy!
I have been thinking about changing my shower, but the wife and i have never bothered as it seems quite expensive and there is a chance it will make no difference as the cold water pressure is....well rubbish (to say the least!)
However what is weird is that the hot water pressure is substantially better (were talking like 3 x 4 times faster out of tap). Does that mean i can get any normal thermostatic mixer shower?
Cheers
P.S - I have a gas combi-boiler
13 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: New shower, water pressure question?

Looking for a new bathroom myself. This link may help you with your options:
http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl003.php
Fixes: 47

You can fit a pump to a mixer shower if the gravity fed water flow is not sufficient.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
johpal
Grafter

Its my understanding that, if you fit a pump, you need a gravity fed cold water supply, as well as a gravity fed hot supply. Interesting to me, as I'm thinking of installing a solar hot-water sytsem on the part of my roof facing south. At present I have a combi gas boiler and would need to re-install a hot water tank. Installing a cold water tank at the same time wouldn't cost that much extra.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

To be honest JohPal, depends on what else your hot water does.  I had  Solar installed a couple of years ago and only have a shower, no bath.  Plus got a dish washer, only took cold, the new washing machine, you cant get one now with hot fill.  So net result in Summer to much hot water and now where to use it.
You are much better off getting Solar Electric panels and flog the Excess to the National Grid
@mrmarkus1981  The Salamander Pumps installation manual for a Combi boiler is for a single pump on the Hot side and the cold side is fed into the mixer valve after the pump.  That doesnt help you as your cold is at a lower pressure  does your cold feed come from the tank?, as the Combi water will be at mains pressure
johpal
Grafter

@pierre-pierre
You make an interesting point; does seem a little OTT to make the solar installation just for a swanky shower. Both dishwasher and washing machine are cold-fill only. The kids will be leaving home soon; wonder if I'd recoup the cost if I sold the house?  Embarrassed
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I have no idea whats going on with it as i am in no way a DIY man!!!
The cold water pressure upstairs is same as hot, but downstairs in the kitchen it basically dribbles out at half the speed. No idea what to do, which usually costs me money :-(
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ mrmarkus....
are the taps downstairs "old"..... when were the tap washers renewed....
you might find this helpful daunting 
http://www.leakingtaps.co.uk/
(although it is about "leaking" taps.... the job is just the same.... !..

Try turning the downstairs cold tap on and blocking the flow with your finger or thumb for a couple of seconds and then quickly release it.
If you get a sudden strong spurt and then back to a drizzle it would suggest a restriction somewhere.
As Shutter could be implying an old washer can break up and pieces block the flow of water. I've seen it happen in a few years of plumbing.
haggis
Grafter

This may /may not help .Where i live in Scotland I have a combi on the wall Mains fed NO water tanks anywhere water pressure 1 bar.electric shower over bath .has one that was through our ould hot water storage tank ,when central heating was replaced told couldn't have it that way or through the combi due to th efluctuation in temp or flow if someone turned tap on in kitchen.Had to get an electric shower unit instaled direct from cold pipe in bathroom.As has been said already sounds like you may have a broken washer or similar part blocking that one tap.
community
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

I've seen it happen in a few years of plumbing.

That's great news!
Looks as if we have a friendly plumber in our midst who will do us some plumbing at a friendly price?  Wink

Sorry community I only work within the Sheffield city boundary.
I visit family in Rotherham but I'm off duty then Smiley
Lurker
Grafter

Not a plumber, but its seriously a few minutes of a job. (And easy enough for just about anybody who has use of their limbs and a few basic tools)
Sadly I'm in the middle of too many projects ATM (12+hrs most days...) so I can't offer any physical assistance!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just thought I would "tap" a few keys, to see if the "dribble" of advice has solved the problem..... Obvioulsly I don`t want to "fawcett" to a close, just hoping that I would keep up the pressure to ensure a smooth flow of answers.  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes