cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New scam...

Fixes: 125

New scam...

Apparently scammers are getting ever more devious by being able to mimic the telephone numbers of a bank appearing on Caller Display units!
Phone scam
This latest deception is known as ‘number spoofing’ because crooks call customers using a phone number which mimics that of their bank.They do this using a device which can copy any number — even if the one they are calling from is entirely different.
Anyone suspicious about the legitimacy of who is phoning will be told to look at the number printed on the back of the debit card issued by their bank. This will match the one showing on the phone.
The caller often knows other details about the victim — typically their full name and address, date of birth and, occasionally, the last four digits of their debit card.

The few times I've had a call from the bank, even when expected, I will not give any details of passwords or other sensitive information. If the call can't continue I will take the name of the person and arrange to ring them back from a known number, I then ring my mobile first to ensure the line is truely free.
But such a shame to have to go to such lengths.
The case of Verena Aslett mentioned in the article seems more down to her stupidy than the scam itself:
On two occasions she rang 999 after the call — but was told the initial warning was legitimate. Over two days in the week before Christmas she was convinced to take out three sums of money, adding up to £11,000, which put her account into overdraft. She then handed the cash over to a courier.
Really?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: New scam...

I have a point of contact. with my bank, for them very reasons
I call a 0800 or 014 number from mobile
Then enter a 7 digit pin & 7 digit Reference number
If my point of contact is busy I will leave a message for them to call me back, & they will give me a passphrase, even though I typically recognise her voice Smiley
I do not know if all or most bank(s) has the same or similar security feature
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have  NEVER had a call from my bank, in over 55 years of banking !...
So.. If I got one... I would be highly suspicious of it, and tell  them to write to me instead.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Write to you,.......... Don,t ask them to do that, have you any idea what the bank charge per letter  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A lot less than being ripped off for the contents of my account !  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Alternatively they can fax a letter to your local branch, for you to pick up, which you dont get charged for Smiley
Advantage
You save a phone call to discuss any issue(s)

Disadvantage is if your 'local' branch is many miles away as in our case Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

TORPC
Grafter

Note to self
Kick yourself later as should of taken that into the equation Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

get them to email you, its free and faster than a letter Smiley
my bank uses secure messaging service (which sends an email to tell you one is waiting to be read) that you can only access once logged into the bank site
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

That is an idea I will have to see if my bank does the same or similar, if not then I will propose they implement such a system Smiley
WTF
Grafter

What I find hilarious is when banks call me then ask me to go through security checks.  I always refuse as, of course, they could be anyone.  A couple of years ago, they sometimes got a bit shirty but recently they seem to expect it.

I had a call from my bank this afternoon which I was expecting.
The lady gave a brief synopsis of what it as about before asking me to confirm my name then a couple of letters of my mother's maiden name. I felt this satisfactory as the call did not involve me having to give any further information either personal or financial.
She did give me a freephone number to ring back on if I have further queries (it was a complaint) which I checked against their website list.

Devonian
Grafter

If I ever get anybody on the dog and bone that says 'Before we can continue I need you to answer some questions for data protection'.
I always reply with 'Fine, after you answer my questions for data protection'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

IF...I got a phone call from my bank I would be immediately suspicious. Would ask for their name and department to call them back using a different phone and a number that I had looked up myself. I wouldn't be impolite just in case its genuine, but I can't think of a single reason why the bank would want to call me unless they're offering free money...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter

They could phone you to say "you have inherited funds from a Nigeria Prince, however they need to confirm your details in the 1st instance" Roll eyes Cheesy