Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rules for speed cameras

pierre_pierre
Grafter

New rules for speed cameras

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20110626/
“That is why we want full details of accidents and casualties at camera sites, along with the number of offences arising from each camera, to be easily accessible. This will help to show what impact cameras are having on road safety and also how the police are dealing with offenders.”
English highway authorities are required to either publish or ensure publication of site by site casualty, collision and speed information for permanent fixed camera sites as soon as practical, and should provide the website address to the Department by 20th July. 
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: New rules for speed cameras

The only way to stop the dangerous speedsters from camera surfing is to have a wider introduction of signposted average speed cameras. The technology is there to achieve this type of thing. The current physical film gatso static cameras are dangerous as speeding drivers suddenly brake to avoid a double flash.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

A man on a phone-in on BBC Sheffield today said he spent so much time during the day watching out for speed cameras he was an accident waiting to happen.
I believe he was a delivery driver.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Devonian
Grafter

Its not the speed thats the problem, its the standard of driving that seems to be getting lower and lower.
Modern vehicles are safer than ever, and stopping distances have halved... the problem is in society itself, to many people wrapped up in their own world to care about the people around them.
Average speed cameras do nothing but cause bottle knecks, impatient drivers, and is another draconian step towards a police state Britain.
If the right kind of people were tackled, such as foreign drivers, the boy racers, and at the other end of the scale the elderly drivers that cruise the motorways at 40mph, then the roads would be a safer, kinder place.
Speed cameras are there for one thing, and one thing only, raising money.
tinto
Grafter

We've just returned home to not very warm or sunny Lanarkshire, from a holiday in not very warm or sunny Dorset, and awaiting us was a letter from Dorset Police offering the opportunity to donate £60 to the Council coffers as a reward for being photographed driving at 36 mph in Spetisbury, which marred an otherwise pleasant break.  OK, I know the limit is 30mph, and the camera would probably have been set to fire at 35mph, but we're used to a bit more leeway here with cameras set at just under 40mph, those that are still in use that is, many having been "retired" as a cost saving measure.
Right off topic (again), we were struck by the number of villages with the words "Abbas" or "Magna" in their names, but nobody we asked about it could offer an  explanation.   
Any offers?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Devonian
Average speed cameras do nothing but cause bottle knecks, impatient drivers, and is another draconian step towards a police state Britain.
If the right kind of people were tackled, such as foreign drivers, the boy racers, and at the other end of the scale the elderly drivers that cruise the motorways at 40mph, then the roads would be a safer, kinder place.

While I kind of agree with the police state comment it seems a tad over strong considering we're loosing plods now due to cuts.
How would you propose to deal with the foreign lorry drivers, the boy racers and the elderly then? - I'm curious because if you are harsh on them then you get people like you moaning about it becoming a police state and on the other hand if you're fair, give them warning after warning then you get people like you who say something should be done about them  Shocked  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re Specs cameras  (average speed over a distance)
there is a long section of the A14 just north of Cambridge at the end of the m11 called suicide ally, it now has 70MPH camers, doesnt cause bottlenecks - it is all dual about 20 mile
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ tinto......
Abbas  >>>>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbas
Couldn`t find any specific ref in Wiki to what Magna stands for... (possibly something to do with the Magna Carta..... and "charters" set up in the 1200`s)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Lumbertubs way (Northampton) has 50mph averaging speed cameras on a straight dual carriageway with a few sliproads and one roundabout (in the middle) but still suffered from disruption two days ago when someone managed to flip a Honda Civic allegedly due to the driver 'texting' at the time. Crazy
The speed cameras do work here though for those not using mobile devices or similar.
I almost always chuckle to myself whenever negotiating the M1 roadworks near Luton, the signs read 'Average speed cameras' and I always wonder why they can't use 'Decent speed cameras' Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quote from: tinto
We've just returned home to not very warm or sunny Lanarkshire, from a holiday in not very warm or sunny Dorset, and awaiting us was a letter from Dorset Police offering the opportunity to donate £60 to the Council coffers as a reward for being photographed driving at 36 mph in Spetisbury, which marred an otherwise pleasant break.  OK, I know the limit is 30mph, and the camera would probably have been set to fire at 35mph, but we're used to a bit more leeway here with cameras set at just under 40mph, those that are still in use that is, many having been "retired" as a cost saving measure.
Right off topic (again), we were struck by the number of villages with the words "Abbas" or "Magna" in their names, but nobody we asked about it could offer an  explanation.   
Any offers?
Regarding speeding - tough - it is a small village with a major road going through it - see picture
Regarding place names
Abbas this denotes that it was originally owned by an abbey which in Dorset was probably Benedictine although in a number of cases it was changed or named to suit the vanity of the landowner (such as with Milton Abbas)
Magna this means great but since the places named were anything but - it is assumed to be a medieval affectation however as there were often other villages near such as Little Canford it may be assumed that Canford Magna is just an alternative to Greater Canford
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: tinto
Any offers?

I think Magna is Latin for 'major or 'greater'. There is often a place nearby with a name ending with 'Parva' which I believe means 'minor' or 'little'. As in Sheepy Magna and Sheepy Parva in Leicestershire.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I suppose average speed cameras could be renamed as "Mean Speed Cameras"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: AlaricAdair
"Mean Speed Cameras"

I like that a lot.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Devonian
Grafter

How would you propose to deal with the foreign lorry drivers, the boy racers and the elderly then?
Foreign lorry drivers should be forced to use a gps box whilst on our roads, similar to the 1 in my 7.5tonner that sends my driving style to the insurance company, who then bill my employer according to the way I drive, for the next months insurance.
The technology exsists for these gps boxes to be used by foreign truckers, and foreignors here for a minimum period of time, so they can be charged road tax, and the DVLA can actively monitor the hours they drive, and the speed they are driving.  The police could also do random stop checks to inspect the gps info.
Boy racers.. easy, restrict the size of the car , and number of passengers for a period of time to gain experiance, and adopt a zero tolerance with traffic rules, meaning if the driver gets a single point on his/her licence in, say, the first year of driving you need to retake an extended test.
The elderly need to be tested every year from a given age.  I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask people over 70 to prove they are able to drive within the rules of the highway code once a year.
Regards average speed cameras, just before arriving at each camera most motorists slam on the brakes, which causes the person behind to do so, and then a chain reaction ensues.
This happens daily on the A380 in Devon, causing some 5 miles of tailbacks.  Yes there are roadworks there at the moment, but they are night time road works, and all lanes are open.
Speed cameras are cash machines for the old bill, plain and simple.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not much point in slaming on the brakes before a specs camera as they are average speed - they calculate your speed between cameras using ANPR technology