Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rules for consumer protection

Bob_Milton
Grafter

New rules for consumer protection

Extracts from,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7416809.stm
For the first time in UK law there will be a duty on all businesses not to trade unfairly.
The law aims to tackle everything from aggressive sales tactics by rogue builders to bogus closing-down sales.

Carl Belgrove, of the National Consumer Council, said the new rules were a welcome change in the law after 20 years of campaigning by support groups.
"These new laws represent a big boost to consumer protection, particularly for vulnerable people who are targeted by rogue traders," he said
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: New rules for consumer protection

If the report is accurate it could open a complete can of worms.
They also include advertising products knowing there is insufficient stock to meet demand
The question is what demand - expected demand could be a good defence
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For the first time in UK law there will be a duty on all businesses not to trade unfairly.

I`m surprised at you, Bob.    a double negative in a sentence..... you have to read it twice to make sense of it...
correctly it should be..... "..... a duty on all businesses to trade fairly".  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bob didnt write it, he quoted what the BBC said  Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

And they use the "Queen's English" don't they?? Undecided
Community Veteran

Yes, and she is older than me, so she should know better !  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
Yes, and she is older than me, so she should know better !  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
One does but one has a secretary, for whom English is a third language, and who kant spel to save her life  Crazy
Community Veteran

Off with her head, then  Shocked Cheesy Roll eyes
Community Veteran

OK I'll put my cards on the table.  I'm a Trading Standards Officer (don't shoot).
The truth is, these laws aren't all that different to what we've got.  They wanted to bring consumer law around Europe into line, so they looked around, and realised that the good old UK had pretty much the best laws, so wrote the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations ( it really roles off the tongue doesn't it?)  They'll replace, among other things, the old and much misquoted Trade Descriptions Act.
They will change how we do things and the laws will be different, but the effect should (hopefully) be the same or better.
Actually if I were a consumer law barrister, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank, because for example the Trade Descriptions Act now has around 40 years of case law attached to it, so all the uncertainty has been pretty  much ironed out, but a whole new set of laws means that everyone will be arguing the toss as much as they can, in the hope that they can pretend that it's different to how it used to be.
For example the new legislation talks at length about the "average consumer".  This isn't the same as the "man on the top of the Clapham omnibus" that anyone who's had anything to do with English law will recognise, but a whole new animal.
Also the government doesn't really want crooked businessmen prosecuted, they expect around 70% of cases to be dealt with using civil law ( so go to the county court and get an injunction telling them to stop being naughty, and ripping off people's grannies)
Rant over.
John
Community Veteran

Nice rant John !  Smiley  helps to straighten out the odd quirks of english law.  !  Undecided