cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New routers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New routers

It appears we're sending out a new router is the replacement to please try rebooting as the standard delaying tactic! I wonder how often new routers are fixing these problems?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: New routers

Not a clue but they can't be saving plusnet any money so you'd think it would be cheaper to fix things ASAP surely?
Price of router wholesale must surely be £20-30 so thats several months of subscription fees swallowed up straight away...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Depends on if changing everyone's router is necessary as part of some sort of provisioning upgrade that the older stuff can't do
Also worth noting that many cheap routers develop problems over time and so box swapping is a valid method of fault diagnosis, oh and the older generation of routers don't have the same diagnostic options that the new ones do
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
cheap routers
= PlusNet routers?  Wink
PLan2015
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It appears we're sending out a new router is the replacement to please try rebooting as the standard delaying tactic! I wonder how often new routers are fixing these problems?

If they keep on sending out new routers rather than rebooting it's going to cost Plusnet financially. I mean, a 100 Sagemcom 2704ns must be worth in the region of ten quid, maybe £11?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

oh and the older generation of routers don't have the same diagnostic options that the new ones do

Many of the new routers are terrible though for the same thing. My cisco doesn't show you diddly squat for diagnostics so I don't really think your statement is valid. Sure some of the cheaper ones you'd expect to cut corners but my cisco was £95 and still doesn't give you anything.
I did have a very old router years ago made by mentor - some small company nobody has ever heard of. I bought it 2nd hand on ebay (or for the politically correct around here "a popular auction site"). It went on for years. It had no UPNP and you had to reboot it for every port change but it was indestructible - it went on for years. It did eventually die when we had our phone line renumbered.. that was it for some reason it never worked again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The computer shop I used to work at had a lot of Mentor stuff in stock, never used any of it myself aside form the occasional testing of faulty goods... Grin Grin
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: 7up
oh and the older generation of routers don't have the same diagnostic options that the new ones do

Many of the new routers are terrible though for the same thing. My cisco doesn't show you diddly squat for diagnostics so I don't really think your statement is valid. Sure some of the cheaper ones you'd expect to cut corners but my cisco was £95 and still doesn't give you anything.

I was referring to the back end diagnostics suite, when the isp rolls out a new system they often get rid of the old support software especially if the new version was required as part of the transport protocol upgrade, not referring to the diagnostic options for the end user which to be fair never amount to more than a couple of led's and a log file.....
Steve
Pro

not referring to the diagnostic options for the end user which to be fair never amount to more than a couple of led's and a log file.....
You what mate? I've got diagnostics on my router.
nanotm
Pro

really?
your router can tell you whats wrong with your line and pinpoint the exact length to the faulty contact /broken /fractured wire or high res joint ?
or do you mean the ability to tweak power options to change snr levels (which isn't a diagnostic tool, its a signal tuning tool)
you llok at your router and if it doesn't have an expected colour led your next options are check logfile, try a reboot, ring customer service and zero other options unless you happen to be the repair guy with access to the proper tools and knowledge to do the job /
Steve
Pro

Yes really, my router is more than a couple flashing leds with a log file. It can tell me when there is problems on the line. Like mines right now tells me my SNR has dropped over the last few weeks to a 3db profile.
Community Veteran

Also worth noting that many cheap routers develop problems over time and so box swapping is a valid method of fault diagnosis, oh and the older generation of routers don't have the same diagnostic options that the new ones do

I was referring to the back end diagnostics suite, when the isp rolls out a new system they often get rid of the old support software especially if the new version was required as part of the transport protocol upgrade, not referring to the diagnostic options for the end user which to be fair never amount to more than a couple of led's and a log file.....

Er no, you were referring to the consumer unit routers that the ISP provide.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

It does seem very odd that some of the guys just seem to send another router out just to pacify the customer, and that includes seasoned users as well that should know better!
nanotm
Pro

The consumer unit acts as an endpoint for the isp diagnostic suite, which I'm sure you knew and are just trying to be a throbber
@ msteve
SNR isn't a diagnostic tool it's a numerical display of the power being used to send and receive data, it can be used to aid diagnostics but on it's own doesn't indicate anything specific but rather a whole host of avenues to traipse down in the hunt for the problem, I know for instance that an SNR of 3 is the default low power optimum for my local exchange but anything below 9 is unstable on my adsl line, but chanting. Values up or down doesn't explain anything by itself, you would need to check the logfile and connection uptime and line attenuation and the rx/tx power levels to be able to use the numbers to any effect at all, whereas a diagnostic tool is something that has to be specifically started to get an answer ( often done by csr's and called a line or cct test) outlining the problem
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jelv
I wonder how often new routers are fixing these problems?

What like this one