Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plans to make cat deaths notifiable

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: New plans to make cat deaths notifiable

@Minivanman wrote:

As for the ones that poop in my garden...

Dear lord it frightens me how i have so many hacks for surviving life that others have no clue about...

Right.. next time you peel oranges or lemons, keep the peel, blend if it you can and then scatter it all around the garden where the cats like to poo. They hate the citiric acid smell and will not go near it.

As for ants, no need to kill them just empty some sugar outside the house and they'll almost all vanish overnight. Sweet fruit is also a welcome treat for them - apples, bananas etc. No need to kill them spending silly money on dangerous chemicals while you're at it..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wouldn't be without a cat, I've had my Spud for the past 14 years, and she's been by my side all this time, some people say cats are disloyal and only "love" you because you have food, it's not true, they see you as a parent, just as any other animal you raise from young would, and they will stay with you for as long as you treat them properly... 🙂

I just wish it was legal to put a sock in a dog's mouth when it incessantly barks from morning to night, because the owners just chuck the thing outdoors and leave them in a yard with no protection from the elements...

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@7up 

I'll give your advice on cats a miss, thanks, but the ant trick makes sense to me - head 'em off at the pass with a banana!   Thumbs_Up

Community Veteran

A cat is usually someones property regardless of whether you like it or not. If you damage it, you legally as a insured motorist have a duty to rectify this in any other situation - why should someones cat be different? Remember not all insurance claims are fair - sometimes you can be found at fault even if you weren't the one who caused a crash.

Yes i do agree that NCB stripping would be unfair as cats do run out in front of cars - i've had it happen to me twice (awful experiences) but like a windscreen and child seat claims, insurance companies could do this without affecting your NCB.

As for cats being "allowed" to wander anywhere.. you can't stop them. It's impossible. They always find a way in / out of any garden - they're the cat world equivalent of a squirrel.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@7up wrote:

A cat is usually someones property regardless of whether you like it or not. If you damage it, you legally as a insured motorist have a duty to rectify this in any other situation - why should someones cat be different?

Maybe so if the law changes, but as it stands now you do not need to report to anyone if you (as a motorist) run over a cat.

Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

@7up 

I'll give your advice on cats a miss, thanks, but the ant trick makes sense to me - head 'em off at the pass with a banana!   Thumbs_Up

If you buy a cat deterrent from a shop it'll only smell of citric acid - believe me my missus tried and the stuff ain't cheap.

What IS cheap is what you peel off your oranges and lemons (unless like me you don't like them).

Our neighbour had a cat that used to dump right outside our front door on the bit of dirt right next to the step. Every single night he'd be there.. (when we first moved in the entire grass was covered). She dropped her keys one night.. guess what they landed in? (and yes, she only realised this after she'd picked them up and opened the door lol).

So what do you think i used to deter the cat? - Orange peel. Did it for weeks, cat stayed away and the front door area for once smelt rather fruity instead of stinking of poo.

Go ahead.. ignore my advice if you want..

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@7up wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

@7up 

Go ahead.. ignore my advice if you want.

Apologies, I wasn't referring to your citrus tips, can't see anything wrong with trying that. Thumbs_Up

My fault for any confusion, but I was referring to your previous post which to me was poo-pooing people for not wanting to have a cat in their house, i.e. sharing germs, parasites etc. in order to build up their immune systems.  I pick my nose and wipe my bum (with tissue!) but I wouldn't have a cat in the house, neither would I eat a meal in the house of a cat owner.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Why on earth should it be my responsibility to keep cats out of my garden or go to the time an expense in doing so. There has to be a balance.

Cats can come in, and I can kick 'em out - and don't get me started on the way they stalk and kill birds, tease small creatures, and then bring them back dead or alive into the house.

Not anti cat, just.... well no actually, sod it, I'm anti cat. 😸💩💩

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@wotsup wrote:

Seems that plans being mooted by government ( under pressure from animal charities ) to make sure that when you run over a cat you have to notify police / owner same as you do if you run over a dog... seems cat owners want the same rights as dog owners without the responsibilities.

ISTM you might not even know you ran a cat over.  Roll_eyes

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@7up 

If a cat is someone's property it is their duty to protect it not mine,  to say that if a cat wanders into the path of your vehicle it is your responsibility  is just nuts.  Dogs are not allowed to wander around unattended and should be on a lead in the street.  I agree with @Minivanman  that cats are a bl00dy nuisance and why should my kids ( and my dog if I have one ) be at risk from their filthy disease laden poo in my garden.  It seems to me that cat owners want all the rights and non of the responsibility, just chuck the cat out to kill small critters and annoy the neighbours,  if I catch them in our garden messing around and my catapult is within reach they get a lump of rock propelled in their direction at high speed...

So if I hit a cat and damage my car, can I claim from the cats owner to fix my car, what if if breaks a headlight and its costs me £500 to replace it. What's good for the goose.........

Fixes: 382

I was going to call my cat 5e but my Grandson decided to call it after his Karate club and I wasn't going to argue.

As a kitten she quickly took to using the litter tray.

After a few month she plucked up the courage to venture outside and hasn't looked back since.

She does her business out of sight including in a neighbour's plant-pot.

The other night she chased a fox out of the back garden so she doubles as a guard dog.

She's very affectionate and I would miss her a little if she tangled with a car and didn't make it but she knows the risks.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup wrote:

Dogs are not allowed to wander around unattended and should be on a lead in the street.

That might have something to do with the Dangerous Dogs Act, given that a dog is more likely to attack a human, particularly a small one, than any other pet would...

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@twocvbloke wrote:

@wotsup wrote:

Dogs are not allowed to wander around unattended and should be on a lead in the street.

That might have something to do with the Dangerous Dogs Act, 

Some dogs are specifically excluded from being on a lead according to a sign which used to be in our local park.

I think it's gone now but it used to say ...

No Cycling Dogs Must Be Kept On A Lead

Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

@7up 

If a cat is someone's property it is their duty to protect it not mine,  to say that if a cat wanders into the path of your vehicle it is your responsibility  is just nuts. 

But if you hit the cat.. it's you that did it.

Dogs are not allowed to wander around unattended and should be on a lead in the street.  I agree with @Minivanman  that cats are a bl00dy nuisance and why should my kids ( and my dog if I have one ) be at risk from their filthy disease laden poo in my garden. 

Plenty of people with dogs out there who let their dogs poo and wee in the garden - with kids.

It seems to me that cat owners want all the rights and non of the responsibility, just chuck the cat out to kill small critters and annoy the neighbours, 

No, cat owners want closure if their cat suddenly stops coming home. Do you have any idea what that's like? - I damn well do and it's horrible.

if I catch them in our garden messing around and my catapult is within reach they get a lump of rock propelled in their direction at high speed...

If I ever find out who you really are and where you live you'll be reported to the RSPCA for that admission. A water pistol (eg super soaker) is just as effective. Cats hate water, there is no need to try to injure them with a physical object. You are a disgrace.

So if I hit a cat and damage my car, can I claim from the cats owner to fix my car, what if if breaks a headlight and its costs me £500 to replace it. What's good for the goose.........

If you hit the cat then it's YOU who hit the cat. It's that simple.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@7up

You obviously really like cats, but my dog (I don't have one by the way) crapping in my garden is no excuse, reason or defence for somebody else's cat digging in my veg patch and doing the same.

I also had a catapult which I would load with old hazelnuts just to scare them off but don't worry, I always missed. One of my grandsons now uses it in his garden - but only for target practice, not for their cat! 

By the way one of my daughters cannot visit her sister because she is allergic to her cat and gets into a terrible state if she goes anywhere near one. It really is quite distressing for her and has been ever since she was tiny. Tried various remedies over the years but none of them seem to work...  except staying well away from cats - that works.