cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plans to make cat deaths notifiable

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

New plans to make cat deaths notifiable

Seems that plans being mooted by government ( under pressure from animal charities ) to make sure that when you run over a cat you have to notify police / owner same as you do if you run over a dog... seems cat owners want the same rights as dog owners without the responsibilities..

1. Dogs have to be on a lead most of the time,  cats not required to be on a lead.
  2. If a dog is seen running around loose it gets rounded up, cats are free to roam anywhere they choose, without their owner.
  3. Cats kill all sorts of creatures that dogs can't or won't catch.

Don't the Police have enough to do without dealing with dead cats ? Will we have cat liason officers to deal with linking up the driver with the cat owner so that they can get 'closure'...

76 REPLIES 76
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 107

Re: New plans to make cat deaths notifiable

Are.they also going to make cat owners responsible got keeping cats off my property?

The world really has gone mad!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Too late to add to first post ( why is edit time sooooh short  ? )

Cats never poo in their own garden, and you have to clean up after your dog...or get fined

As usual Australia has the right idea

https://en.mercopress.com/2019/04/29/australia-plans-to-cull-two-million-feral-cats-to-save-native-w...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@wotsup wrote

Cats never poo in their own garden

Having had a few cats in my experience that's not quite true.

Like people the males tend to spread it everywhere except their own turf. Taking great delight in messing in someone elses territory.

The females tend to carefully cover and hide it from prying eyes in their own back yard.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd gladly notify the owner of the death of their cat using our carport as a toilet, if i can catch it......

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

@wotsup wrote

Cats never poo in their own garden

Having had a few cats in my experience that's not quite true.

Like people the males tend to spread it everywhere except their own turf. Taking great delight in messing in someone elses territory.

The females tend to carefully cover and hide it from prying eyes in their own back yard.

I guess the steady stream of cats that come up our front steps every night (seen by the security camera) before disappearing into the front garden must be either all males, or a mixture of females just out for a stroll and males out for a dump.  

Angry

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Yes,  thats another thing,  pretty much every time our outside security lights come on at any time of night or early morning it is CATS,  I have never seen a dog sneaking around the garden when I look out... The CATS triggering the lights also makes security cameras start rolling.... I have a couple of PIR triggered cat washing devices that I put out in summer,  but in winter they can freeze up - so I will have to plant some of those high frequency PIR bleepers around the garden - they get used to where they are sited so you have to move them around regularly...

Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

Notifying when you run over a dog is a throwback to when dogs were licenced. Cats have never been licenced, so......

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

Exactly, @Marksfish . Other points to note are that cats and dogs have different behavioural traits - cats very rarely attack humans for instance (unless really provoked), and usually avoid contact with people they don't know.

Also, although more are being chipped these days, many cats have no way of being linked back to their 'owners'.

As someone who has had cats in the family for 30+ years, I'm afraid to say I think this is not one of the best ideas the organisations have come up with - IMHO.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Trouble is, growing up with cats (we have 3 now) they're entitled to roam around your garden, your neighbours garden and anywhere else - which they do.

We've had one that just disappeared, could have been run over or just died somewhere. Or it may not even be dead and someone else had taken it in.

Also unless they made chipping a mandatory requirement how would you prove you're the owner. If the cat had been taken? We had one cat, looked well after that someone took her as we saw it.

The professional me would say "I am not best happy with that person", the unprofessional me would be testing the swear filter right now. A lot.

I'd better stick with my professional version. 😃

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

@wotsup wrote:

Don't the Police have enough to do without dealing with dead cats ?

When our Siberian cross was killed in a hit & run, a following driver picked her up and luckily saw someone who knew she was ours, and for that I'm very grateful - but

Had the circumstances been different, I would NOT have expected the police to be spending time looking for me.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Part of this initiative ( being discussed between government and Battersea dogs ( and cats ) home is to make microchipping mandatory for cats as well as it is now for dogs..

Community Veteran

That was very good of the driver to do that, as distressing as it was for the driver and you.

Similar thing happened to us on a house about 20 houses up the road, they found us and told us the news. I don't think they knew where the cat lived, but it was a case of one person knew, who knew another, who knew another who then knew is was us.

I remember walking near my house and a saw a car done an emergency stop, one distressed driver and cat later I realised what had happened. The cat was so lucky the driver was on the ball and stoped as had it been there less than a second later from the car it would have been game over.

Mook
Rising Star

I wouldn't have a cat in the house, disgusting creatures. They toilet in the litter tray then walk all over your house, including your worktops with their paws covering in [-Censored-] and 💩, no thanks!

Community Veteran

The litter tray? You're joking, more like any patch on the carpet.