cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

Fixes: 121

New phone

Just got a nice new shiny Galaxy S4 Mini as my upgrade from T-mobile which is £4pm cheaper than my previous contract and is also 4G (no 4G anywhere near me but the same phone as 3G only was £2pm dearer!).
Now while I do backups of contacts, synchronise diary with Outlook, etc. I have always preferred to start a new phone from scratch entering all data again manually after playing with all setting to get the look and feel I like.
I'm somewhat similar in my approach to PCs. I have never made a full system backup preferring to reinstall windows and set it up as I want it then use the backup files for data, etc.
I put this in Chit Chat as I'm not asking for advice but wondering what other's do.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: New phone

I Must be unique as I don't have a phone, in fact I have a phobia about telephones it stems from when I was working, everytime the phone went it was either a problem or somebody wanting something so on the phone issue I am unable to comment.
On the computer side I do the same as you, anything important is stored on an external drive and copies of important stuff are copied to a second external drive or DVD.
If anything goes wrong then I just reinstall the OS from scratch, only problem is this can be a slow process with windows so next time I will try and reinstall from a USB stick followed by a fresh copy of the latest Linux Mint version.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
If anything goes wrong then I just reinstall the OS from scratch, only problem is this can be a slow process with windows

Sounds like you need the wonderful challenge of installing LFS: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WTF
Grafter

Enter every contacts again  Shocked
No thanks!  My contact list is in Outlook and sync'd with my phone - and now Google - and goes all the way back to the first time I used Outlook somewhere back in the early 90s.  I'm sure the majority of the details are totally out of date, but it's easier to keep 'em rather than check every one  Wink
As for backups, I have a stack of external HDD for that .. not that I could recommend it: the reason I have a stack of HDD is that they keep failing  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't really worry about it to be honest. I tend to let my old contacts die with my old phone unless they're current 'live' contacts in which case I'll input them on the new one.
As for PCs I don't rely on backups or restores. I'll only use a restore point in an emergency to get it up and running to grab important data from the system before wiping it. Thing is when you do a restore or a fix, the system never really runs the same, it always sluggish, slow to do anything etc.
I got hit by a virus a couple of months back and stupidly I fixed it but never bothered reinstalling windows. I'm still suffering now  Roll eyes I really do need to reinstall the OS but I can't be bothered anymore.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
WTF
Grafter

On the few occassions I've had viruses, I've generally managed to get rid of them by running scans with a series of different Anti-Virus packages (though I only run one normally). I've never bothered re-installing the OS - apart from anything else, unless you run a disk shredder across the HDD, there's a chance viruses wouldn't be removed anyway.