cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New (other)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New (other)

Looking at a item on ebay recently I see it was described as New (other)

I had thought something was either new or used, there was no inbetween but looking further into this it seems a item that has been used and then refurbished, which may have been done by someone other than the manufacturer, can be described by ebay as New (other)

In my opinion this type of description is misleading.

Who can you trust these days when words are used to have a different meaning. ?

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: New (other)

Ebay's definition of "New; Other":

New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

If the seller is offering a Refurbished item, they need to list it as such, otherwise it is indeed misleading...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Hmm, a quick dictionary check shows that the word 'new' can have different meanings depending on how it is applied. Confused? We shouldn't be, but we are. 

New as in brand new and unopened, new as in new model, new as I just posted, new as in new kid on the block...... new as in new wife, even though she's been married several times before! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

True it can have many meanings as shown in the examples you give but in terms of a specific item like goods should new not mean new.

Why would a new genuine item not come in the correct box or sealed package, if you are paying for something new then you expect it to be new, not something someone has already accessed and possibly played around with ?

Clearly ebay has it's own definition of new but should it be allowed to do so ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ebay added the "New (Other)" descriptor because of this very problem, people were selling "New" items that they'd opened, poked through and put back in the box, it's still new and unused, but because the box was opened it was not "Brand new", but "New, open box", but they couldn't use the "open box" bit because not everything can be described like that, so, "New (Other)" was the coverall description, along with the long clause as I'd quoted above to cover sellers incase of buyers complaining that it wasn't sealed... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

You are right of course @gleneagles  - I was just making light of it,

Certainly, if I bought something described as 'new' I would fully expect it to be brand new, unopened, and unused.

Ebay eh? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

On an associated note...

I'm fed up with the characters wearing off cheap USB keyboards that I tend to buy, so that I've bought a job lot of 5 keyboards (definitely used) with PS/2 connections from fleabay for £33. Is this likely to turn out well?