Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New nasty purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

New nasty purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs

A warning to anyone else who might get it. I Just received a rather well done e-mail attack purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs. My spam filters caught it  (Not a PlusNet e-mail account), but it is a rather well done E-mail with an MS Word document attached.

Came from HM Revenue & Customs <Secure.Communication@hrmccommunication.co.uk>

Domain was registered today on GoDaddy to a private registrant

(Naturally) I haven't opened the attachment to find out what it does - I'm not that curious.

3 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro

Re: New nasty purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs

I had the same thing last week. Instead of opening the attachment I gave them a ring, to which they replied they new nothing of any email being sent to my address. Needless to say I deleted it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

You are obviously sensible in your handling of such scams, but others might not be and should consider the following:

Have you ever given HMRC your email address?  Even if you have, they know where you live so you don't need to click on anything to get a refund, they'll just send it to you.  Are you due a tax refund?  Very few people are, but greed causes them to click on links in such unlikely emails.  In my experience it's the tax payer who has to claim a tax refund, HMRC don't like to part with overpayments easily.  There is aslo something suspicious about this email address, it just doesn't look right, and not just the misspelling of hmrc. Laugh

wisty
Aspiring Pro

I admit to being a bit paranoid. I normally use an ancient e-mail client (Turnpike) which only shows HTML mail as text. It doesn't open links or display images unless asked to, and then uses external programs to so do.

Also I use addresses of the form Firm@domain where Firm in the people I am giving my e-mail address to, and domain is one of a number of domains I use  - some for important mail ( Bank, HMRC etc.) and some are kept for one time or limited use (software product registrations etc.).

Based on the address  to which the e-mail is sent, I get suspicious. HMRC do have an e-mail address for me - but it wasn't the one this one came to. I passed the  e-mail on to Phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk, and got a response - probably automated!