Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New members - posting account related questions here

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

New members - posting account related questions here

PLEASE!!!

This is general chat - for general chatting. Plusnet rarely come in here in normal times. What do you expect any of us to do about it?

You should post in the appropriate adsl / fibre / phone / TV forum.

These topics are becoming tiresome - we're seeing them every day.

The mods need to sticky a topic saying not to ask account related queries in general chat.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

Re: New members - posting account related questions here

@7up I agree that this decidedly not the place to post account related (or any service related queries), but somehow PN seem to have garnered a swathe of customers who either can't or won't be bothered to post in the correct boards. I've lost count now of the number of posts I've reported for being in the wrong place - and I haven't reported all those I've spotted.

The boards are clearly identified, but it seems there is a reluctance for people to engage brains before posting.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Perhaps some have scanned through the various boards and realised that chat seems more active than boards that are more relevant to their query.

I agree with you both and there is nothing to be gained by posting with a problem in chat as it will simply get moved to the appropriate board.

😀

Highlighted
Hero

Maybe, @gleneagles , but it achieves nothing as the post will languish unanswered in chat until it gets moved, and then ends up at the bottom of the pile on the correct board, lengthening the response time still further.

John
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've noticed recently there are many threads that require moving to the correct area. I assume all boards are visible to those who have just joined and they are not directly corralled to chat.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

No the mods don't, the boards are very clear for their purpose in both structure and description.

Just report it, we'll move it and life carries on.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 116

@jab1 wrote:

but it achieves nothing as the post will languish unanswered in chat until it gets moved, and then ends up at the bottom of the pile on the correct board, lengthening the response time still further.

I just want to point out that that's not how it works, that there's not a person going through the boards and working them in that manner. 

Regarding the OP, I can't imagine why someone would take the time on general chat to post about people's first posts being in the wrong board, it should have zero impact on anyone that's not the OP.

This community is first and foremost here to help customers get answers to Plusnet related issues I'd suggest if it's so tiresome then frequenting a community who's primary purpose is customer support may not be for you.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Highlighted
Hero

@JonoH My apologies for obviously misinterpreting or mis-remembering something I seem to recall reading a while back - I honestly thought that was how it worked.

With regard to your final comment, I'm sorry, but I find that a little insulting - I've been here quite a while and tried to help if and where I can. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the boards are very clearly labelled, so I fail to see, personally, why it is hard to post in the correct(ish) one.

John
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No need to apologise Smiley It's a common misconception.

The point I'm trying to make is that many people, especially those who are new don't read stickys and just want help with their issue. Posting on general has always been something a small percentage of new users do and that's always been something the mods have been on top of. Right now because of CV19 more people are using the forum for support, that means more new people and that means more mistakes.

All it takes is for people to just scroll past and not reply if they don't want to and our normal procedures will pick the conversation up and get it looked at. Scrolling past takes less time than creating a post to say

@7up wrote:

These topics are becoming tiresome

Jono H
Highlighted
Hero

Fair enough, @JonoH . Maybe it's just me, but if I need to post on a forum/help board and I've not been there before, I look at the options and choose the most relevant, assuming that posting in the correct area will result in a - possibly - faster response.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 22

@7up wrote:

The mods need to sticky a topic saying not to ask account related queries in general chat.

Like they're going to read that? Yeah right.

The vast majority of these first time posters are not natural-born forum users. Most, I'd wager, have never used any forum before.

They have a problem, so they ring the call centre, and are redirected to the forum.

At the very least they'll be frustrated, often angry, and sometimes panicked. Forum etiquette is the last thing on their minds.

No one else seems to find it a great problem.

Bee Alert >> Spray safe >> Save hives
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@198kHz wrote:

@7up wrote:

Like they're going to read that? Yeah right.

The vast majority of these first time posters are not natural-born forum users. Most, I'd wager, have never used any forum before.

With respect, that's codswallop

This isn't 200 0r even 2010, it's now 2020. There's an entire facebook generation that's a decade old now.

Highlighted
Pro

Shouldn’t this thread be in the Community Site Feedback section rather than General Chat?
Asking for a friend...

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@7up wrote:

With respect, that's codswallop

This isn't 200 0r even 2010, it's now 2020. There's an entire facebook generation that's a decade old now.

Yes, and that generation don't use forum's the use Facebook and Twitter and I don't think they're the only generation. I myself have never used a forum for customer support once in my life, even now when I manage this community and the thought has never even entered my head. It's not a natural thing to do when I can just tweet directly to them or message their brand Facebook page.

Jono H
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yet another one..

General Chat is in "Other forums" - which is at the BOTTOM of the list of forums.

It seems quite logical then that these people CAN see the most appropriate forum - they SCROLL RIGHT PAST IT.

How can you suggest they don't see it / know what they're doing?

Going by your logic, I should be able to post general topics in Fibre Broadband - because I didn't see General Chat and didn't scroll down far enough..Is that acceptable?