cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New members and abuse ......

Community Veteran

New members and abuse ......

[Rant]
Is it just me or does it get anyone else back up when a new member comes on f'ing and blinding and hurling abuse ?
I see it as similar to walking into a pub full of locals who don't have a clue where you are and shouting obnoxious comments.
The temptation to reply "you sound like an absolute male chicken" or  "no wonder they hung up on you when you were being a right Richard Head"  is sometimes overwhelming - especially when that person will not listen or follow and advice given.
[/Rant over]
16 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: New members and abuse ......

I understand what you're saying, and I agree.
I think it reflects great credit on this forum, its members, mods and DCT that flame wars and slanging matches are relatively rare.
Not young enough to know everything
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: picbits
[Rant]
Is it just me or does it get anyone else back up when a new member comes on f'ing and blinding and hurling abuse ?
I see it as similar to walking into a pub full of locals who don't have a clue where you are and shouting obnoxious comments.
The temptation to reply "you sound like an absolute male chicken" or  "no wonder they hung up on you when you were being a right Richard Head"  is sometimes overwhelming - especially when that person will not listen or follow and advice given.
[/Rant over]

Contrary to popular opinion, swearing is NOT cool.
People who swear constantly lack the intelligence to string together a proper sentence IMO.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Quote from: picbits
[Rant]
[/Rant over]

Totally agree.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 125

Quote from: RichAllen
Contrary to popular opinion, swearing is NOT cool.
People who swear constantly lack the intelligence to string together a proper sentence IMO.

Whole-heartedly agree with that.
It's not big and it's certainly not clever.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

peter10
Grafter

I couldn't agree more whether it is a new or older member that starts swearing or hurling abuse. Complain by all means and disagree with people but you will get more help if you are polite. I feel in most situations in which you think you have a grievance it pays to stay calm and state your case without antagonising anyone.
Fixes: 125

Once you start hurling abuse or using bad language the other person or company will immediately become defensive and, possibly, aggressive, rather than listening the the grievance.
There are times I feel for the Digital Care Team who have to maintain their professionalism throughout.
Some of the posts the OP is alluding to could possibly have been toned down a little if the poster had clicked Preview then went away for a cup of tea before coming back and re-reading before making amendments then clicking Send.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Quite often when people post on here with a problem it's their last port of call and they may be in no frame of mind to be reasonable.
It's quite an understandable reaction but when someone replies with the likes of "you want to stop talking like an idiot and maybe someone will help you" it can exacerbate the situation.
Many people start off here with a flaming rant and end up apologising.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

One or two people seem to trigger the swear filter in their posts more than others.  You'd think that when they see 'censored' in their post it would prompt an edit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, but the word "censored"  in your post can also "add" to the meaning, that you originally intended, without actually upsetting anyone with the language used !... Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

Does an abusive post get a quicker response? Or is it ignored!  (I know the Plusnet team are really cool & professional, but other folk may just ignore the post)
RichAllen
Grafter

If I was a forum admin and someone started swearing profusely on my forum, that user would be banned for life and reported to his ISP.
I mean yeah OK everyone uses F words sometimes but there's a time and a place for that, and an Internet forum which could be populated by kids, is not it IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: RichAllen
and reported to his ISP.

Who would do what exactly?
Point is, ISPs don't do anything to police their users unless they're forced to by law or a law has been broken - eg hacking.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

An example is Sheffield Forum, which is rife with racists, trolls and other forum no nos, these people regularly get banned by admin, but they just come back under as many new aliases as they have email accounts.
The Mods have no control over this because they won't do IP bans because they still have users on dial up.
JamesM
Grafter

I can't see what all the fuss is about, people get frustrated and they vent their frustration in a "Public Forum". This forum is very tame when put against a lot of other public forums. I have never seen any racism here, so I can't see what the problem is?
I think the only way some of you won't be offended is if you have a seperate forum, or maybe have like they do in Photography forums, where Nudity is mentioned in the title, so if people want to vent their frustration, and say a few swear words, then put swearing in the title, so the easilly offended can give the post a miss.
It is only going to get worse with all the BT no shows, lack of speed, connection problems and new £2.99 deals bringing in more people, which in turn means more problems..