cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New(ish) car dilemna

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New(ish) car dilemna

I love my car..... Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI Y reg and 155,000 on the clock... Bought it 7 years ago, at 55,000 for just under 4K.....It does 60 mpg on long runs and 55 mpg around town... . I have it regularly serviced, oil/filter change etc....cambelt has been changed at 55K, 100k ................. at 155k  I got the mechanic to replace the cambelt and the rollers.  New clutch (complete) at 125 K, Brake discs have been renewed twice, as have brake drums, (they are due again)  also wheel bearings...........comfortable to drive, and reliable.... never fails to start... passes mot first time every time. no rust ( last mot)  .....
I have just had a small inheritance, which means I can afford to replace the car.... however, having done considerable checking on sites  and locally, it seems that no-body wants to sell their Skoda Fabia car..... (why am I not surpised at that ?  ! ! ).....
I have seen a "newer" version which is a TDI and upgraded interior, however, I know it will not do the same mpg  (55mpg and 45mpg) as my SDI, and I am not sure if the TAX is more, and the insurance will probably be slightly more too.... the car I have seen has 88,000 on the clock, and is 2005 reg... so "slightly" above the average 10 k per year. priced at £3,999
If I "tart" my car up, I may get £500 to £750 as part ex  on it,  with a bit of haggling, I may be able to get the cambelt, and brakes replaced.... plus a new MOT and 6 months tax... as I did with my original purchase.... I may also get a slight reduction because of the mileage consideration....
OR......
I could..... buy a recon engine for my SDI and get it fitted for about £1500.... thus keeping all the present "attributes" of my present car...

Skoda have a 3 cylinder 1.4 diesel engine car...... but I am not sure if it will have the "guts" in it for mountain climbing when we go to Wales for hols and weekends
any advice or comments?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New(ish) car dilemna

forget the inheritance and keep the car as is while it serves you well.  the time to do something different is when the car begins to cough its last.  the money won't run away and you'll find things to spend it on soon enough.
Community Veteran

If you like it and it does what you want, keep it until it gives up.  Cheesy
I'm in a similar position with an 11 year-old car (that I've had for 10 years) and have decided to "spruce it up" a bit as it suits us and still keeps going. Replaced various "tired" cosmetic bits with items from scrapyards and also installed a few options missing from the original but with wiring etc. already there. It looks a lot newer now than it really is.
You can't always do that but mine happens to be a very early example of a very common model so there's literally thousands of them to pick over.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm with the majority on this if I'm honest. If you like your current car then keep it because when it come to cars its better the devil you know than the devil you don't. We've had 6 cars in the last 4 years (I know that sounds bad) and 3 of them I couldn't fault for reliability. It's the other stupid silly things which took most of them to the melting pot. You seem to be the type who's keeping on top of everything maintenance wise so if the car is still in good nick, still starting first time every time why get shot of it?
We've been burned with bad ones.. head gasket failure twice on one of them. Another one blew its gearbox away.. £000 later and within the next fortnight the engines oil pump gave up and the engine seized. Needless to say I'm now converted to a "Know a good thing when you've got it" brigade member. I suppose it depends on whether you're someone who likes to have all the modern stuff or just reliable stuff. If you don't mind an older car then stick with yours and treat yourself to something else you deserve. Otherwise if your idea of a treat is a nice new car then do that instead!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am the same, fairly low mileage per year, my KA is now MOT age and the local dealer keeps pestering me to change it, but I dont like the new Polish/Joint Fiat factory job and so I am keeping my trusty liked older model
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ka? Eww, get shot of it and get a micra!
Seriously the SO's Ka has been so much trouble its beyond belief. Engine is fine for reliability its all the rust and suspension problems that are a PITA. Worst car we've had so far for the non engine stuff going wrong.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Having my 02 Kia Rio LX Mot'd next Thursday. Had it nearly 4.5 years and it cost me £1650 on eBay from lady who owned it from new. We do have a local Kia dealer but all I've bought from them has been an air filter + cambelt and tensioner.
All I paid last March was MOT fee as no work needed and spent nothing since Smiley
Been thinking about getting a more recent Kia but from my 60k miles pa days I'm down to below 3k miles pa.
Assuming all goes well on Thursday I'll keep money in the bank earning it's measly interest rate.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with Artificer and HP, keep the car that serves you well...........up to the point that
a) it fails an MOT (apart from tyres) or
b) needs major expenditure.
Stick the inhertiance in premium bonds....you may be lucky Roll eyes