Did you mean: 

New hot map of the London Underground

pierre_pierre
Grafter

New hot map of the London Underground

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New hot map of the London Underground

I can believe that - having endured travel on the Victoria line regularly a few years back.
I suppose the Central line seems so much warmer is IIRC closer to the surface ( Northern I think is deepest Huh . ) and fairly long tunnel. Maybe not built with such good ventilation shafts.
But it will interesting to see what effect the new trains will have when they get into full servive as they will be fitted with air conditioning .
So the insides will be cooler but the tunnels/ stations will be warmer.
Community Veteran

Bear in mind that the new trains with air conditioning are for the subsurface lines, which have plenty of gaps in the tunnels to expel hot air... so I'm not sure tunnel/station heat will be a problem for them.
Community Veteran

Well the deep tube are getting new trains too - for the Victoria line - first I think.Huh -
and both them and subsurface stock are both being build by the same company - Bombardier -
And why fit A/C to subsurface stock that is in cooler air for most of the time ??.
I tried to find definitive info - but failed .

Community Veteran

Well the deep tube are getting new trains too - for the Victoria line - first I think.Huh -
and both they and subsurface stock are both being build by the same company - Bombardier -
And why fit A/C to subsurface stock that is in cooler air for most of the time ??.
I tried to find definitive info - but failed .
But also bare in mind that the original Victorian engineers were very clever too. They built in many miles of extra tunnels / shafts to allow ventilation of the tunnels which most people do not see. And no heating needed for the deep tube stations either ( when were you ever cold down on a tube station. ) . Just the energy used in later generations of trains have generated more heat, along with greater passenger numbers.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont forget Magic Boris is in charge now Crazy
csogilvie
Grafter

The fact they are being built by the same company is irrelvant... Vauxhall make lots of cars, they don't all have the same features.
From memory of what I've read, you can't do air-con on the deep level tubes (Victoria, Picadilly etc.) because there's a) little room in the carriages and b) nowhere for the excess heat to go.
Additionally, the map shows PLATFORM temperature, not the temperature on the trains, between stations etc.
Community Veteran

I didn't mean to imply Bombardier would build them they same  Smiley - they are obviously different sizes and different specifications.
And yes of course there is less room in the tube stock, most equipment is under the seats and at the ends. What I have found is the new trains have "improved ventilation" which may mean forced ventilation with fans etc.
But as i said the tubes have extensive ventilations shafts and tunnels to ventilate the main running tunnels and stations - they rely on the moving trains to push air along and up these shafts.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Improved ventilation is when you get someone with the sense to pull the windows down at the end of the carriages.

itsme
Grafter

One problem London has is the platforms are open so unless these are enclosed the a/c system has to bring the temperature of the tunnels as well as the platform down. In other countries that I been to with a/c the platforms are built on similar lines to the Stansted mono train so only the platforms and trains have a/c. The tunnels probably have normal ventilation. There is not the room on the London Undergroud to build a barrier on the platforms.
Community Veteran

Indeed -
but the new section of Jubilee line from Westminster to Stratford has such a wall and doors at platform edge - IIRC
csogilvie
Grafter

It does indeed (not sure if it goes all the way to stratford though - never been that far), but that's apparently meant to stop people committing suicide rather than for any other reason.
itsme
Grafter

Indeed there are some and are conversions. When I encountered them last year I thought that it was part of the refurbishment program and all stations will be done but some platforms I believe that they have not the physical space to do it.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: cso
but that's apparently meant to stop people committing suicide rather than for any other reason.

Think I put that down to a myth.
itsme
Grafter

It seem that in London some of the stations are using platform edge barriers. Why spend money on this system when it does not create a total barrier and therefore have better climate control on the platform?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, platform screen doors are full height, total barriers between the station floor and ceiling, while platform edge doors are full height, but do not reach the ceiling and thus do not create a total barrier.
These doors help:
Prevent suicide attempts and murders by pushing.
Reduce the risk of accidents, especially from service trains passing through the station at high speeds.
Improve climate control within the station (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning are more effective when the station is physically isolated from the tunnel).
Security - access to the tracks and tunnels is restricted.
Costs - eliminates the need for motormen or conductors when used in conjunction with Automatic Train Operation, thereby reducing manpower costs.
Prevents litter build up on the track which can be a fire risk.