cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hoax email.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

New hoax email.

Just received an email with the heading: 'Remittance Advice from Anglia Engineering Solutions.'
These hoax emails have recently started doing the rounds and contain attachments that if opened will install malware in your computer.
My email was intercepted by Plusnet Webmail and was immediately deleted by myself.
I am sure no Plusnet Forum member would attempt to open the attachments but thought I would post this anyway.
44 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: New hoax email.

Funny that, I've had two this afternoon (Polly Giles and Nita Perkins)....couldn't remember buying anything from them but you know what it's like at Christmas. I've given them my bank details so they shouldn't have any problems taking the money  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I too have had these 3 of them today, 2 from Anglia and another one from someone calling themselves Vickie Campos all of which were diverted to the the bit bucket.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Me too, received dozens of messages from "Anglia Engineering Solutions" today  Angry
Community Veteran

Yup - I've had a couple of dozen as well.
I have over 100 yesterday with a different subject - I suspect some spammer has set up his system wrongly and is using a load of zombied machines to mass spam.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I will probably regret posting this, but my spam count is going down. I used to get 4 or 5 a week on my yahoo a/c - which is a fairly simple one to 'find', and 40/50 a week on my old TT a/cs - which are still active because I can't be bothered to find the log in details for sites, but I still like to get the emails.
In the 3 years I've been with PN, I've had ONE spam to one of my 3 mailboxes, and that was caught by the spam filter before it even reached my inbox. I have turned filtering off because some genuine mails were being wrongly tagged, and I have MailWasher installed.
Just hope I don't have a reversal of the current trend. 10/15 a week in total to the three TT accounts, and 2 or 3 a month to the Yahoo one.
John
Fixes: 125

Quote from: jab1
I have turned filtering off because some genuine mails were being wrongly tagged, and I have MailWasher installed.

You got me thinking...
I remember turning off Spam filtering a little while back on two of my domains but can't remember exactly when so am not sure if that coincides with when this latest deluge started.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Todays have been titled ......
"Employee Documents - Internal Use" from ebay,com
I have received around 50 of these today.

I've had about 300 today but none of those you mention.
Most seem to be trying to tell me how to get a woman on her knees...
That's easy, I just tell her I've dropped a tenner under the table Crazy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Crikey Me !... you must know some cheap women  Cheesy

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: jab1
I have turned filtering off because some genuine mails were being wrongly tagged, and I have MailWasher installed.

You got me thinking...
I remember turning off Spam filtering a little while back on two of my domains but can't remember exactly when so am not sure if that coincides with when this latest deluge started.

Two days after turning the spam filtering back on it has been reduced to a mere trickle.
Perhaps it is coincidence so I may turn it back off again and see what happens.
Also, I have set my own mail box called BloodySpam and set all spam emails to be marked with [-Spam-] and get redirected to it but they still end up in the Junk Folder.

Community Veteran

"DOC- file for report is ready" is today's mass spam attack.

Having turned spam filtering off after my post yesterday there was no spam delivered before I went to bed around midnight. Just checked and almost 200 came through. Most were of the 'Remittance' type nothing as per DomS's , though.
So it seems that spam filtering certainly is working Smiley
Will turn it back on again at the end of the day just to see how many I do eventually get in a 24 hour period.

Community Veteran

Today's spam attack has been entitled :
"PL REMITTANCE DETAILS"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is there any way these things can be bounced back to the source or is that not a good idea ?