cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fusebox / consumer unit laws?

Fixes: 104

New fusebox / consumer unit laws?

Hi all,
My in-laws have heard that there a some new fusebox / consumer unit laws coming into force and are chomping at the bit to get theirs changed now.
I've googled it, looked on the HSE website and the building regs website and can't find anything about it.
Anyone else heard of it?
Cherers
Will Moderate For Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New fusebox / consumer unit laws?

The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:200Cool was published in January 2008, and will come into effect from the 1 July 2008.
From then on all commercial, domestic and industrial wiring installations must be designed, constructed, inspected, tested and certificated to meet the requirements of BS 7671: 2008.

http://www.niceic.com/17thedition/nroot/niceic/17thedition/MajorChanges2.pdf
My understanding is that existing installations are not effected, unless work is carried out on them.
So there is no need for the in-laws to be concerned, or have any work done. (Assuming their fuse box is in good condition.)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I think I agree with chilly on that..... because of the following line in Pierre`s link

but after 1 July all installations must be designed and installed to
BS 7671:2008.

A word of warning, for any "old" persons......  Roll eyes
beware of "bogus" notices put through doors quoting the regulations as meaning the work (changes) must be carried out by the 1 July.....
There`s bound to be some joker out there who thinks he can make a few bob with a scam Undecided
Fixes: 104

Thanks for that all, I did think that if it was as something as big as lots of people having to change stuff there would have been at least an advertising blitz!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I do not see how this changes too much, it still seems I am able to do anything I like to the consumer unit just as has always been the case.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed