Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay payment rules

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: New eBay payment rules

Despite posters on ebay forums saying plenty of sellers and buyers won't notice blah blah it already has been noticed by me as a buyer in the last few months.

I often buy "interesting" things from private sellers. Sometimes a couple a week. But for long periods, for the first time ever in years, I now often have a completely empty watch list.

If this is already effecting low volume occasional private sellers I have a feeling it will completely put off the person who thinks- what shall I do with these few things, I know I'll sell them on ebay. Because with all the bank details effort ebay is no longer the place to sell on a whim.

I hope things will settle down there and go back to what passes as normal but I have my doubts.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@billnotben I buy or sell very little on eBay, but a friend of mine has been using them extensively for 15 years, and apart from her frustration with their 'improvements' to the site, she is quite happy to continue, although she has complained (to me) about this change - she used to use her revenue from sales to buy, knowing that was 'pocket money'. Now she is having to keep her own record of 'spare' cash.

John
billnotben
Community Veteran

Yes the money is more "real" now. Even a string of postage payments appearing on my bank statement via paypal look a lot more now.

As you say it was more pocket money imaginary when it appeared in paypal and you spent it from paypal.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Just out of curiosity, if eBay haven't had direct debit details before, how were the sellers fees paid when items were sold? Mine have always been paid from the bank, I didn't know there was another way.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Marksfish 

Through PayPal 

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Ahh, every day is a school day. I didn't know that was an option 😊

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ahem... may i remind you all of what i previously said..

@7up wrote:

Read between the lines here guys, the government is short of cash and wants to know who is doing regular undeclared business online for the tax man to know about.

It's a data matching exercise. The DWP do them all the time internally to try and catch fraudsters, the tax man will also be doing it's own version and with new bank accounts made available to ebay it'll only be a matter of time until the taxman takes a look and starts examining them.

Not an issue if you're legit but if you're a low volume trader (not even exceeding the personal allowance tax threshold) they'll be all over you at some point.

and now the proof that HMRC themselves ARE indeed on ebay:

screenshot-1257

Like i said, the government is short of cash, the tax man is looking to find unknown traders via ebay.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@7up  VERY interesting..... so ... I checked out the VAT number   on this site.....  https://vat-search.co.uk/

And... yay !.. it doe come back to Memet Numan at that address...

So.. then I did a google search for  "who is Memet Numan"... and this came up..... 

memet numan.png

All  those items are currently on sale by

Seller information

98.7% Positive feedback

Item location:
Chiswick, United Kingdom

When you click on "See other items"....

there are 147 items listed.... all in US Dollars when you click on any of those items, it reverts back to the UK priced page ....   

If you  "Visit Store".... there are 113 items listed. 

And... indeed.... as you say... under Business Details... it returns the information you have posted....

His profile makes interesting reading....  only registered 3 years ago... 98%  and 114 negative feedbacks in 12 months...
Some refer to damaged goods/packaging/wrong item/not received/    etc  etc. !

memet 2.png

billnotben
Community Veteran

To get around things some China based sellers in particular pick a UK address out of a hat. Basically this means someones returns could end coming through your letterbox.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@billnotben   Haven`t been that lucky yet......  !   

Cheesy

billnotben
Community Veteran

That's what I just don't understand. Those people on eBay's forum complaining about the freebies coming through their letterboxes. Though a fair few were posting how do I give them my address and volunteer for this.

Another was complaining about eBay packaging. Bubble wrap - jiffies - boxes etc.They were being sent big boxes of these. They said they had received over a dozen and were running out of places where to put them. Again no shortage of people volunteering to take them off their hands.