Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay payment rules

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

New eBay payment rules

Just reading the Daily Mirror.... and see this sub-headline...

New eBay payment rules as sellers told they won't be able to use PayPal from tomorrow

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/new-ebay-payment-rules-sellers-24219764

Seems to be very confusing to me..... as an "occasional" seller....

25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: New eBay payment rules

Basically, @shutter , it just means the nett balance of the purchase price goes to your bank account, rather than your PayPal one, so long as you have updated your profile with your bank account details of course. You can still pay via PayPal, as I do for two or three companies I deal with, but PP won't have a 'balance' to pay the supplier, they will take the money from your bank account.

Still works OK, because my PP balance is always zero, but these firms still get paid.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

You can still pay via PayPal, as I do for two or three companies I deal with, but PP won't have a 'balance' to pay the supplier, they will take the money from your bank account.

Still works OK, because my PP balance is always zero, but these firms still get paid.

But... the way it is worded.... after tonight... it won`t work that way if I want to sell something....  it means that I have to give Ebay my bank account details, and a Direct Debit, agreement... (otherwise I can`t use Ebay to sell stuff ) ...  so that they can take money direct from my account to pay the selling fees... which I am not really wanting to do...

jab1
Seasoned Hero

The selling fees will be taken from the sale price before they transfer the balance to your bank account - nothing goes from your bank to them - and I didn't give them a DD mandate when I gave them my bank account details, although PayPal obviously have one.

EDITED TO ADD: You should have had at least two emails about this over the last couple of months, and there will be copies in the 'messages' folder on your eBay account.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Ditto for the didn`t give  part of yours above...

but... this is what it says.

New rules from May 31

mean fees and expenses will be deducted at the point of sale instead of through a monthly billing statement -

and you won't get paid via PayPal, either

Up until midnight tonight... what you say is correct..... AFTER midnight .. it will change to the above system... i.e.  Ebay want your bank account details.... otherwise as a SELLER you won`t get paid for the goods you have sold.

I "think" that you may be right about BUYER`s being able to pay via PayPal... as you do now... but it is confusing... ( I presume your buyers payment, will go from your PayPal account to EBAY rather than to the SELLER.... )  And I`m not sure what the dispute/resolution situation will be if something goes wrong with the purchase...

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Correct, they want/need your bank account, into which they will pay the balance of the sale price after deducting the (usually) 13.8%+30p . I'm not sure about the route your payment to a seller will go, but I'm guessing your assumption is correct.

See my edit to my reply, and the dispute arrangements will be detailed in their current T&C's.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

Reading further down the article, in The Mirror.... you will see this

Sellers will also no longer have to pay PayPal fees, meaning

the only charge you will incur is eBay's flat rate 12.8% of the total sales plus a fixed fee of 30p per order.

Which means... if you sell an item for £50.00  

it will cost you £6.40  PLUS 30p

total loss to the seller  £6.70p

So... I think I may have to get myself a FaceBook seller page or whatever it is....

( Don`t know anything about Facebook... so any advice about selling stuff on there, will be appreciated, via PM if you like ! ! )

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I always liked that bit, where ebay trumpeted no more paypal fees. But general left out saying we will be taking them instead.

Or the bit, most sellers will save money with lower fees. Well I suppose technically 0.1% is lower but most in the real world won't see that as such.

So all the change is save 0.01% and wait days to get your money.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Read between the lines here guys, the government is short of cash and wants to know who is doing regular undeclared business online for the tax man to know about.

It's a data matching exercise. The DWP do them all the time internally to try and catch fraudsters, the tax man will also be doing it's own version and with new bank accounts made available to ebay it'll only be a matter of time until the taxman takes a look and starts examining them.

Not an issue if you're legit but if you're a low volume trader (not even exceeding the personal allowance tax threshold) they'll be all over you at some point.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

This was sent to me by eBay on the 28th April via the messaging system and by email to my registered address:

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

And I got this on the 2nd May. Thy already had my bank details as sellers fees have always been taken by direct debit:

Thanks for updating your account details.

Dear Mark,

Congratulations! Since you updated your account details, eBay is now managing payments for your account.

This means:

• You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. If you haven’t already done so, please add a bank account so you can get paid. You can add your bank account from the Selling Overview in My eBay or from the Payments tab in Seller Hub.

• No more PayPal payment processing fees. No more separate monthly fee payments. You will pay an updated final value fee¹, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a fixed fee per order.² Most sellers will pay the same or less than before.³ See fee details

• We will initiate payouts within two working days of payment confirmation. You may choose to receive available funds to your bank account weekly or daily, as funds are available. Learn more about payouts.

What’s more

• Your eBay selling fees and expenses will be automatically deducted from your earnings before you get paid. The remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account. Examples of eBay selling fees include but are not limited to: insertion fees, listing upgrades, and Shop subscription fees.

• You can cover the costs of refunds and other charges from your bank account or credit card when your available, processing and on hold funds are not sufficient to cover the refund amount.

• You can access everything you need on eBay: consolidated fees, refunds, returns and more. You can view all your Payouts activity in Payments options in My eBay or in the Payments tab in Seller Hub.

Get more help with managed payments. Keep up to date on the Seller Centre.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The bottom line is they went from instant payments and delayed fees to delayed payments and instants fees.

No amount of spin could ever turn that into any sort of plus/benefit for the seller.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Marksfish  Never received that message  from ebay.....    and have checked my Ebay messages.. and there is not a copy of it in there either...

Maybe it`s because I rarely sell anything on Ebay....

Having checked a couple of things on the linkys about payments and fees... I am not sure that I actually want to sell anything on there again... so ... for the time being... I am not giving my bank details ....

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Looking at adding an account to eBay I was unable to do so…

Ebay suggest one reason for failure to add an account is lack of Java…recommending you add it.

Interestingly IOS do not support Java for security reasons….

Also suggested by eBay is using another browser….

So looks like I will be sticking to purchases only in future….

Whats with some companies these days (censored) customers about, the very people who keep them in business.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see how this pans out after 6 months of these new "rules" have been in effect... 

Wonder how many users/sellers will stop using/selling... and if that number is significant... then Ebay may well be looking at some "new rule changes"