cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer for old folk!!

jmd
Grafter

New computer for old folk!!

If you are older you obviously are not expected to cope with Windows etc so a new computer with a very simple system is being produced -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8352606.stm

not sure that everybody over 60 will want to be described as if they cannot understand things easily - and may will have used computers at work!  It would perhaps be better if they were aimed at anyone who had no experience of computers whatever regardless of age.
17 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: New computer for old folk!!

not much else in the news either
MOST POPULAR STORIES NOW
    * SHARED
    * READ
    * WATCHED/LISTENED
    * Computer for the elderly launched
    * New warning on 'perfect vaginas'
    * Noisy sex woman loses appeal bid
    * Shark bite prompts surprise birth
    * 'No fasting' for cholesterol test
Most popular now, in detail
    * SHARED
    * READ
    * WATCHED/LISTENED
    * Washington sniper is put to death
    * Shark bite prompts surprise birth
    * New warning on 'perfect vaginas'
    * 'No fasting' for cholesterol test
    * Computer for the elderly launched
    * PM warned over childcare vouchers
    * Major power failures hit Brazil
    * Heathrow pilot faces drink charge
    * Service marks lost WWI generation
    * 'Strong sales' boost Sainsbury's
Fixes: 47

Definitely one too many pieces of information there Peter Shocked Embarrassed Lips are sealed
Edit: Make that two Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: jmdlp
not sure that everybody over 60 will want to be described as if they cannot understand things easily
Please explain in case I can't understand  Roll eyes Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hee hee it is based on Linux Mint <a href="http://www.discount-age.co.uk/simplicity_computers/isitsecure/">clicky</a>
The simplicity computer is powered by Eldy and runs the Linux Mint operating system

My favorite OS.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Are these "free", or do they have to buy them?
If they have to buy them , then I think they are a waste of money, because sooner or later, the user(s) will get more confident and want to do "more" than 6 basic things on the start up screen. then they will need to buy a "proper" computer....  Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

Just looked at prices quoted
It's not all that cheap - systems range from £299 without screen or keyboard to £525 for a complete system.

Looks like an attempt to rip off we older people  Angry
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Agreed. Only for people over 60 who have more money than sense Wink
As a member of the "target group" I've just quite enjoyed getting the grips with Windows 7 over the last week or so and already have a copy of Linux Mint dual booting with Windows XP on a laptop, but I have to admit, it was the only "flavour" of Linux I have ever felt comfortable with.
Community Veteran

0.425  -10.08 GB
Are these "free", or do they have to buy them?

Yes they have to buy them, the underlying OS is free, but the GUI they have added may not be.
Quote from: shutter
If they have to buy them , then I think they are a waste of money, because sooner or later, the user(s) will get more confident and want to do "more" than 6 basic things on the start up screen. then they will need to buy a "proper" computer....  Undecided

Well there is nothing stopping them from "reformatting" them or awakening the FULL power of Mint on them, the GUI front end is just that a front end and can be removed, just like the OS on EEE's when they came out.
On the subject of price. Training of any form in expensive, whether real human based or CBT, a real training course will cost about £400/day, based on 1->10-20 (trainer-students)
However who else is offering any kind of training oob?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You could try this link
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/ImprovingYourSkills/DG_10037436
which has a further link
Use the Directgov course search to browse computing and IT courses near you.
    *  Browse computing and IT courses
N/A

Valerie Singleton:
She said she was shocked by the number of older people who do not have computers - a survey by the Office for National Statistics in August 2009 revealed that 6.4 million people over 65 have never used the internet.

Why? I fail to understand why it is considered detrimental for older people not to have a computer. Warmth, light and food yes, but not a computer.
I know many people who live quite happily without one and have no intention of purchasing a computer - indeed they wouldn't have one given.
However, I do agree that computers can be quite confusing and certainly dangerous if people don't understand the basics of security and are going to embark upon Internet banking/ordering goods online, so anything that makes it simpler is good.
Have read that the over 60's are the fastest growing group for new computer use and ADSL connection so the inventors must have got it right.
Linux is good for such groups but not sure about all the stuff that comes with it like partitioning, installing etc. Also, when the frequent upgrades come they don't always seem to be trouble-free so LTS would be best option IMO
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
Linux is good for such groups but not sure about all the stuff that comes with it like partitioning, installing etc. Also, when the frequent upgrades come they don't always seem to be trouble-free so LTS would be best option IMO

That is why pre-installed is better. Linux is starting to make its way into the market, and if you can buy it pre-installed then you get support from the re-teller. (not necessarily the shop)
By adding this front end, they have removed all the "nasties" from computers for people who haven't used one before.
Remember before driving a car you are required to sit a test, anyone can buy a computer and not know what to do next. If there is a simple menu then perhaps it is better?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that just like my Asus EEePC with linux, all preinstalled and running, Firefox browser, Thunderbird E-Mail, Games Open Office Complete, plus lots more on a Netbook originally less than £200, mine 4G with 3 USB, WiFi etc about £230.  tell that bloke to get stuffed  (and I am Technically over the hill)
scootie
Grafter

am surrpised cold callers get so much cash out the mature folk, reading this forum you get the sense your on to a con quicker than anne robinson and sniff a bargin out fast than my dog sniffs a joint of beef out
nadger
Rising Star

You can get free courses here http://www.myguide.gov.uk/myguide/MyguideHome.do