cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New car-money up front

dennisb66
Grafter

New car-money up front

I ordered a new car from a well known dealer 12weeks ago.I have now had a phone call to ask me to call in and to pay or finance the outstanding ballance,after which the car will be released from thier dealer and available for me to collect from them by Monday next. Huh
      As anyone else had to pay before actually seeing the car,it seems strange to me,in years gone by I have always paid the balance at time of collection.
    Grateful for members thoughts on this subject.
18 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: New car-money up front

I think that recent events have made us all extra cautious - rightly so in my opinion especially when one sees large banks not lending to each other.
Could the dealer you are buying from be buying from a main agent who requires payment in full before releasing the car to your dealer. Possibly your dealer can't do this without your funds.
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi John.I also have wondered if that could be the reason,however DC Cook have been in business a long time.
I have just increased my credit limit so I will use that if I have to(extra security) untill I receive my car.

(Geriatric getting greyer every minute)
Dennis
nadger
Rising Star

Hi Dennis
I may be missing the point but if you use a card will they surcharge you?
To speed up the transaction I tried this a few years ago and the dealer wanted to add 2.5% to price.
dennisb66
Grafter

Good point John, I will have to check this out first.

Dennis
pcoventry76
Grafter

yes they will 2.5% is the standard surcharge for a card
LiamM
Grafter

I bought a new Clio from a Renault dealer in June.  Paid the deposit at time of ordering and had to go in and sign all the finance docs 5 working days before the car was released and arrived.  First payment was a month after collection.
dennisb66
Grafter

Have just spoken to the dealer,yes there is a 2.5% surcharge for using CC so thats a no no.  Cry
    Good news is that they have agreed I can complete financial transaction on day of collection. Grin now thats what I call good customer service. Wink

( Geriatric getting greyer every day)
nadger
Rising Star

That was obviously worth the ask, Dennis.
What have you bought just to make me jealous Wink
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi John, 
      Fiat Punto Grande Active A/C 1.2cc 5 door in Rock & Roll blue. should have it in a few days. Grin
            (geriatric getting greyer every day)
Dennis
dennisb66
Grafter

Just to finalise this topic I recommend any would be buyer to read Quentin Willson's reply (Sunday Mirror today)on this subject which I e-mailed for earlier in the week Winkactually i will quote it.
          "This is naughty.Nobody pays for a car without seeing it first.You're absolutely right to be reluctant.Tell them you will settle the balance after inspecting the car,and made sure it's been prepared to your absolute satisfaction,inc.things like spare keys,radio code,service book and hand book.I'm amazed they've been so rude and unprofessionable".(unquote) Cool
Dennis

nadger
Rising Star

Good luck with new car tomorrow, Dennis Smiley
dennisb66
Grafter

Thanks John,however, delivery day has now been delayed untill Wednesday. Tongue

dennis
dennisb66
Grafter

Would you credit it,still no car.I called into dealers on wednesday and was immediately directed to the managers office.I will ring up and find out where your car is Roll eyes,5min. on phone still no result.I advised him quite politely that my patience had run out and handed him my letter headed "Time is of the essence"giving 7 days notice to supply or I deemed the contract cancelled and my deposit to be returned. So I will be back next Wednesday. WinkWill let you all know the result.
nadger
Rising Star

I will ring up and find out where your car is

Losing a couple of CDs is one thing  but a complete motor car  Wink
Sorry you're having grief, Dennis. Don't let it take the shine off your new toy when you get it.