Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Years Honours, are they outdated?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

New Years Honours, are they outdated?

Personally I think they are and no, I never got one either Wink

No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.

Calvin Coolidge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: New Years Honours, are they outdated?

But if you HAD got one would you still think they were outdated ?

Wink

Fixes: 121

They should stop giving them willy-nilly to 'celebrities' and sports persons and give them to those who really do things for the benefit of their community or the country in general.

What does 'for services to drama' really mean? Brought in a lot of moneyCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Outdated - certainly. Anachronistic I'd say.

I'd love to be offered one just so I can turn it down!

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero

In all honesty @gleneagles, I would never accept one. Cool

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Getting an honour just means you have sucked up to the "right" people.

Minivanman
Hero

I'm sure that's the case when it comes to those civil servants and politicians getting gongs @billnotben but not for Joe Public. Still daft though, and a good indication of what side of the fence some are sitting on, and it's not mine.

Community Veteran

But whenever Joe Public gets a gong I bet there's a civil servant or politician somewhere, that was involved in the decision making, thinking this will be for my benefit.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The American editor-in-chief of Vogue becomes a Dame, Mrs Cameron's stylist became an OBE when the PM resigned in the summer, Mr Alan Woodhouse, having been a volunteer with the Samaritans for nearly 57 year, is made a mere MBE.  It's nice to know the government has got its priorities right, it is of course much more important to look good than to help people who are so desperate that they want to kill themselves.

Luzern
Pro

Surely those, who have brought kudos to the country should have permanent recognition, that doesn't have a pecuniary element. They may be athletes, actors whatever, but it's not seldom that the history covers more than just the day job, but time given to unpaid work for charity and social benefit.

Some will say, 'naive', but I'd rather be that than completely mean minded. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Luzern

Go on then, don't be modest, tell us which one you got.

Wink

Minivanman
Hero

But.some it seems are more deserving than others @Luzern, and what a confusing choice - from Knighthoods to Dames along with CBEs, OBEs, MBEs..... it's quite a list and one that is devalues itself by quantity over quality and is little more than outdated and outproduced nonsense.

Makes me embarrassed to be British.

Luzern
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern

Go on then, don't be modest, tell us which one you got.

Wink

Ahs die back quality wooden spoon fourth class

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Lynn Faulds Wood shows integrity and turns down MBE.

Not young enough to know everything
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I suspect Ms Faulds Wood didn't actually turn down an honour, but simply diclined to let her name be put forward for one, which is not quite the same thing.

Famous people quite often don't get their honours for acting, singing, etc., but instead for their work with charities.  If you look a bit closer, however, this 'work' often amounts to no more than appearing on TV encouraging much poorer people to give to said charity.  They are often quoted as "giving up their time", but since this time would often be spent 'resting' as they call it, it can't be much of a hardship for them to turn up at an event.

You can find a form here https://www.gov.uk/honours/overview in case there is someone you want to nominate.